A Masked Assassin

Chapter XXXIV

THOMAS, WHO HAD BEEN lost in a daze staring down at Joey, jumped as a starling voice boomed, "Where's Lucinda?" Michelle stomped towards him, and for a split second, he felt a sudden rise of fear and inched backwards.

Upon reaching him, she shouted, "I trusted you two to watch her!" His eyes slid to the side to eye Bellamy who also shot him a glance.

"Relax," Evangeline said, shoving Michelle backwards with a hard push to the shoulder. "She just went off to ... you know."

"Alone?" Michelle narrowed her eyes, and balled her hands into fists. "She was with us long enough to know that no one goes off alone."

"Then need I remind you that she was on her own for a year before we found her?" Evangeline fire. "I think she can handle herself."

"Ugh!" Heather huffed. "Is it so hard to just go find her?" She pulled on Kathleen's arm, yanking her up from the grass, and dragged her along, despite her protest, until the two disappeared behind a set of trees.

Thomas lowered his gave, but could hear Michelle and Evangeline's bickering clearly. Something about Evangeline and Jacob trying to cover up Lucinda's attempt to escape, and Evangeline defending herself and her husband, but he didn't care what was being said.

He turned his gaze down to the unconscious girl beside him, and his chest tightened. Even though she hadn't changed visibly, somehow he could tell there wasn't much time left. A gust of wind blew past, and he pushed a few loose strands of hair out of her face. Staring at her peaceful face, he gripped a handful of dirt and flung it to the side in anger. "This shouldn't have happened!" he said lowly through gritted teeth.

"Don't beat yourself up," Bellamy chimed.

Thomas snorted. "The person I should be beating up is David."

Bellamy arched a brow. "And what would that accomplish? David didn't mean for this to happen either. Lucinda tricked him."

"So, now you're choosing his side?" Thomas flung his head towards Bellamy, and Bellamy's brow pulled together.

"What? No, I'm not taking anyone's side," he explained.

With a 'tsk,' Thomas rolled his eyes, and pulled his legs up to his chest. "Whatever," he sighed.

"You got something to say?" Bellamy asked, offended.

Thomas shot him an aggressive look. "You've always been the coward, even Caleb saw it. That's why you're too afraid to 'take sides.'"

Bellamy's face hardened. "I am not a coward!" He shrugged. "So, I play things a little safer then you or Caleb ... so?"

"Caleb would've done anything I asked him to to save Joey."

Bellamy sprang to his feet, his hands balled into fists looking ready to punch. "Thomas, I can't heal her! I can't get inside her body to do so!"

"Then force your way in!" Thomas screamed, throwing his head up to meet Bellamy eye to eye.

Bellamy returned a sullen look as his hands relaxed. "I can't," he said softly before walking away.

Thomas huffed as he wrapped his arms around his legs, and placed his chin on the top of his knees. He didn't feel any guilt for the things he had said. Bellamy could get inside Joey's body to heal her if he tried. He didn't buy the whole "can't get in without permission" thing. It sounded like just some made up excuse.

Unexpectedly, a painful ache slammed his forehead and he cringed as his eyes clenched shut. His legs lowered to a criss-cross as he rubbed his forehead to ease the pain, but he realized it wasn't going away.