Unmasked

Chapter IV

HOURS LATER, JOEY WALKED along the street alone in the dark. Alex, Jenny, Kathleen, and Heather had all stayed on the tram to catch a ride to the upper levels, while she, David, and Ella had hopped onto the tram across the way to return to their homes further down in the Slums. There she said her goodbyes to the Spencer's, who's apartment was a few blocks down, and she started her walk home.

She had only spent a couple hours in the diner, but the lack of sunshine always had a way of making the time feel later then it really was. Despite it being almost six, she knew Mom would still be working the long nights in the lab as usual, and Jamie wouldn't be home until the moon was in its place high above the city. She had grown accustom to spending her time alone.

Letting out an exhausted sigh, she recalled the brief seconds of sunlight she had gotten on the tram, and she yearned for its warmth again. She crossed her arms, drawing them in close as the cold wind blew against her, and she took her time on her evening stroll. She was in no hurry to return to the empty, gross apartment she called home.

A noise peaked her ears, sounding very much like someone could've kicked a glass bottle, and her heart pounded as she frantically glanced from side to side. Walking in the dark was scary enough, but after the day she had, the dark made it ten times worse especially since the streets were empty. She felt like Agcorp soldiers were stalking her from the shadows, ready to take her away. Away from her home, family, and friends, and unexpectedly, the urge to sprint home empowered her legs.

Her fear came into reality when a hand gripped her tricep firmly and yanked her into the shadows between two buildings. She wanted to let out a scream and cry for help, but a hand clasped tightly around her lips and her mask pressed against her skin keeping her silent. A scrawny arm wrapped around her waist and she was held firm against someone's chest as they tried to hold her still and keep her from squirming away. She pulled on the hand that covered her mouth trying to break free when suddenly, she was swung around to meet her captor face to face.

"Shh! Don't scream they'll hear you!"

Screaming wasn't the first thing that popped into her mind as Joey gasped and stared into a bloodied and bruised face. Though no name immediately came to mind, something was familiar about the mans tender brown eyes, but strangely, he wasn't wearing a mask making him harder to recognize these days. Squinting, she focused only on his eyes and instantly she knew. Pulling her mask below her chin, she shouted baffled, "Mr. Magnus?"

He held a finger up in front of his lips and glanced from side to side before placing his shaking hands on her shoulder. "I don't have a lot of time," he whispered.

Her brow arched as she placed a hand over her chest feeling her heartbeat. "Mr. Magnus, what's going on?"

"There's no time to explain! You have to listen to me!" He gripped her biceps tightly. "Get out of the city." He gazed intently in her eyes, fear mixing with his dark brown. "You're in danger!"

Her mouth fell agape. "Me?" She wasn't even sure if the words had passed her lips.

"Agcorp—" He was cut off as someone walked by drawing his attention over her shoulder. Once they passed, he continued, "Agcorp came to me earlier today, just after you left for your drill."

"What did they want?" she asked, quickly before giving him a chance to further explain.

He sighed giving off a defeated look. "You." His voice was no longer a whisper but it remained soft, and her face flushed as her chest tightened. "Joey, they've had their eye on you for a very long time," he continued. "Ever since Monasa. They know you've been moving to different cities on forged papers. The Underground has failed to safely move your documents."