An Unrestful Night

Chapter XII

JOEY STARED UP AT the ceiling, her hands lying folded across her chest as the night dragged on. Her eyelids grew heavy, but she refused to let them close. No matter how tired she became, the thought of sleep petrified her. Back home, it had been easy to find something to do to stay awake, but here ... there was nothing to do but lay in silence, listening to the snores.

Rolling her head to the side, she stared at the young man lying beside her. Vapor drifted from his body, and she shivered as it met her skin. She couldn't keep a frown off her face as thoughts from her vision the night before reappeared. The vision of David's impending death, the vision that she had no idea how to stop. She remembered the first time she'd had that vision she didn't care. After all, she had many visions of people dying, and she had no idea who the brown headed boy in her dreams were, but now ... Her throat squeezed. After all these years of being haunted by that vision, she was afraid it had begun.

She flenched as David's ice suddenly melted and he now lay next to her in his normal human form. She raised a brow and lifted herself onto her elbows, a slight sense that something was wrong entering her mind, but a second later, his ice returned along with a snore. Snickering, she laid back down flat on her back.

She took a second to close her eyes, but when a gasp echoed throughout the cave, she jumped. She lifted her head up, glancing over David's shoulder and noticed Michelle siting straight up, panting like she had just come back from a hard sprint.

Squinting, Joey didn't have to lay here and figure out what had happened because she knew. Michelle had mentioned that see, too, had the ability to see the future, and since then Joey had been wondering if she was plagued with horrid visions just as she was. Michelle's outburst gave her a good guess.

Joey swiftly flopped back and shut her eyes as Michelle scanned her sleeping companions, no doubt to make sure no one had seen her; it's what Joey would've done, had done many times. As she laid there with her eyes closed, she was almost tempted to give in and keep them shut, but the images of David's dead form flashed through her mind and her eyes popped back open as her heart fluttered. Raising her head a couple inches, she watched closely as Michelle laid back down.

Joey rolled over, her back touching David's, and she yawned. A sudden chill brushed her skin and she lurched her back as his cold form appeared. She rolled her eyes, feeling dumb for forgetting, and scooted back to her original spot on the floor. Her body ached for sleep, but her anxiety outweighed her exhaustion.

Her eyes ventured up towards Heather—who still leaned against the wall—over to the hole in the cave, and she clenched her jaw as she stared deeper into the darkness within. She couldn't sleep, and she couldn't just lay here. Now that she was in the Dome, there was nothing stopping her from finding her dad. She couldn't believe the words of the Agcorp official; the ones he claimed her father was still alive outside of the Dome. He would've said anything he could to get her to follow him. No, she had a feeling—a strong feeling—that her dad was somewhere in here just as lost as she was.

Nothing kept her here ... nothing except for David. Part of her knew she couldn't make it through the Dome without him, but the other part of her told her his best chance of survival was to stay with Michelle and the others and find the exit.

Michelle had warned them of the dangers of the Dome at night, but that didn't stop Joey's thoughts. If she left now, she'd be the only one in danger instead of risking the lives of her friends. After all, she had taken out one of Agcorp's highest ranking men. Surely, a mutated animal wouldn't be any trouble. She couldn't lay here until morning and allow this decision to eat at her mind. She was going, and she was going alone.