Chapter 28: Zalla the Palladin

"Ah, Sylvia I've been looking for you," Zalla said, completely unfazed by the situation before her. She began to walk forwards, but stopped when she approached the four men. They all looked up at the six foot woman, before parting to make way for her. She strode up alongside Sylvia at the bar, leaning forward with her elbows propped up by the sturdy wood.

"One beer, thanks," she grunted, raising a finger at the bar keep. The bar keep was frozen solid, glancing between her, Sylvia, and the four men who were still standing between Sylvia and the door. They were oggling Zalla, eye balls popping out of their head.

"Yeah, now's not such a good time Zalla," Sylvia sighed. She was still so numb inside, not even this surprised her. Her and Zalla go way back, in fact Zalla is around about the same age as Darian and Sylvia.

"The Sigil are summoning you. Timing has nothing to do with it, you'll have to quit your contract and come immediately," Zalla stated matter of factly. She raised a brow at the inn keep, who was still frozen in place. Immediately he sprung to action, pouring her a hefty stein of beer. With a shaky hand, he gently pushed the overflowing stein towards her, froth flowing over the sides.

Zalla took a big swig, then wiped her froth covered mouth with her arm. Sylvia regarded her then, taking her in. It had been many years since she had seen Zalla, and she had only grown more impressive over the years. Zalla was a six foot massive woman, with bulging muscles underneath her Palladin style armour. Her dark, ebony skin was smooth, but bore the scars of many battles. All of which she was clearly victorious.

"No I mean right now isn't such a good time," Sylvia emphasized, causing Zalla to glance at her. She cocked a brow, before turning around to peer over her shoulder at the men behind her.

All four of them were somewhat taken aback by the turn of events. They were whispering to one another, with a panicked expression on their face. Zalla sighed, and turned to face them. She was an intimidating presence, with her shield on her back and her great sword at her hip. Sylvia was glad Zalla was asking them nicely to come to the Sigil with her.

"Oh, is there a problem here?" Zalla asked sincerely. Sylvia couldn't help but chuckle, tilting her head back slightly before standing up properly.

"I think these guys wanted a fight?" Sylvia smiled at them, pointing a finger with her palm facing upwards. She put her other hand on her hip, loving how the tides had changed. Truth is, she was far too exhausted for a fight right now. And didn't want to take the cheap way out by simply using her magic tiara.

"You said there were only two..." Sylvia heard one of the men mutter to the other.

"Yeah... There was.... She's new," another murmured in response.

"Plus who knows what the hell that thing is..." Another said, pointing at Aliyah. Aliyah was too distracted with their beer to notice anything that was going on, knowing fully well Sylvia could take care of herself.

"A fight? With humans? How unfair. You'd need at least ten humans on one hunter to make it even," Zalla chuckled, shooing the men away with a dismissive hand. The one who appeared to be a leader looked slightly angry at this, however his friend pulled him away while shaking his head. The four left the bar.

"Who is this impressive woman?" Dirella enquired as Zalla and Sylvia slank back into the booth.

"Zalla, knight of the Hunter Sigil. Pleased to meet you," Zalla extended a hearty hand at Dirella, who paused momentarily. She then extended her own dainty hand. Zalla then clasped the hand tight and gave it a hefty hand shake leaving Dirella somewhat rattled but very much intrigued.

Aliyah also received the same treatment, but seemed to handle Zalla's strength a little bit better than Dirella. Darian, however, was glaring at Zalla with a scowl.

"What is up your butt?" Aliyah enquired. Darian seemed somewhat shocked that Aliyah of all people would make that comment, but then regained composure as he realised everyone at the table was staring at him.

"Aliyah, typically you ask that in private. Not in front of everyone..." Darian hissed at Aliyah, face flushing red with embarassment. Zalla chuckled, a deep chuckle that reverberated around the room.

"He's just embarassed he hasn't beat me in an arm wrestling match," Zalla took another swig after stating such a daring fact, which caused Darian's scowl to darken further.

"That's not true!" Darian exclaimed, gripping his stein firmly with his hand.

"We tied once," Zalla stated. She was a very straight forward, tell it how it is kind of woman. Sylvia appreciated the honesty, after all these years she had never met anyone as truthful and noble as Zalla.

"Getting back to the point," Zalla began, putting her stein back onto the wooden table with a thud, "the Sigil has summoned Darian and Sylvia."

"On what grounds?" Sylvia asked, cocking her head to the side.

"You broke a treaty we had with the vampire hoard, what did you expect to happen?" Zalla asked. Her armour clinked as she leant forward, elbows braced ok the table. Sylvia groaned.

"You knights. Always sticklers for the rules," Darian huffed as he crossed his arms over his chest and sunk into the booth.

"Are they seriously going to punish us for that? They didn't even make it common knowledge," Sylvia groaned. When they had attacked the vampire hoard, they had only just found out about a treaty between the hunters and vampires from Anthony, who is also a vampire. The treaty protected the blue eyed leaders, but the hunters were still free to hunt the red eyes at their leisure.

"They made it known to all house leaders. Besides, you know what they're like," Zalla said plainly with a shrug. Sylvia sighed, downing her stein dry with one big gulp. She slammed her stein back down with a crash, causing all the patrons to stop and stare at their table.

"Welp. Better get a move on."

See? Told you that Zalla was freakin awesome

See? Told you that Zalla was freakin awesome. She's actually my D&D character, except she's a Goliath in my game. Acts exactly the same too!