6

San Francisco, California

"Keeps your heads on a swivel guys, Doctor Light can still be down here" Dick said over the coms.

"Dick there's no sign of Jason's tracker on the third floor" Donna said over the coms as Ashley looked around with her equipment in hand. "Hank, did you find anything?" Donna asked.

"Does rats the size of my head count?" Hank asked.

"I thought only New York rats were that big" Ashley commented as she walked along her floor, searching for the tell-tale signs of a kidnapping.

"Stay positive Hank" Dawn over the coms system. "Don't egg him on Ashley" She accused the brunette.

"I got dragged out of bed to trudge through sewer water because dipshit decided to go off half-cocked" Hank complained.

"Also, I'm not egging him on, I'm just making innocent observations" Ashley said.

"Sometimes I wish I could kick you" Hank told Ashley. "Other times I fear for any children you could have."

"The only person stopping you is you, Hank" Ashley reminded him.

"No what's stopping me is this thing called self-preservation, maybe you've heard of it?" Hank asked her sarcastically.

"Does self-preservation include singlehandedly taking on a madman?" Ashley asked.

"Totally" Hank answered quickly. His face turned into an almost comedic grin as he said "If it's opposite day."

"Focus you two" Dick said over the coms.

"At least Jason found Doctor Light" Donna said argumentatively. "Maybe if we would've given him half a chance yesterday, we would've already had him."

"Jason's about as reliable as one of those psychics on Bourbon Street" Ashley snorted as she looked around.

"Guys, I got something" Dick said. "I'm sending over the coordinates now."

"Damn" Ashley said off the coms. "I really wanted a pizza" She mused to herself, making her way to Dick's coordinates. She ran into Hank and Dawn on their way down and the trio started to joke again like they had before Hank and Ashley were at odds over his prior comments and were smiling when they reached Dick. They ran their flashlights over the area and Ashley shook her head at the sight.

"Geez" Dawn said as she looked around, while Ashley shook her head.

"This is fucked" Hank said slowly as he looked around

"He must've really pissed the guy off" Ashley muttered, looking at the bloody drag marks on the wall.

"He was attacked here" Dick said, moving his flashlight to show them. "Then he was dragged. The blood stops a hundred feet down."

"He could be anywhere" Dawn said, though Ashley thought it was an optimistic take on the subject.

"If he's still alive" Donna replied. 

"Great, I'll send Slade a Christmas card for taking him off our hands" Ashley shrugged, turning to walk off.

"Do you have to be so cold?" Dawn asked her.

"Of course I do" Ashley shrugged. "Little assholes gotta be dead by now, it's part of the life" She shrugged. "People die, we move on then you rinse and repeat until you inevitably die yourself" Ashley said darkly.

"You weren't dead by nineteen" Dawn argued.

"Not physically" Ashley said, shrugging and moving to leave again.