8

San Francisco, California

"Do you ever wonder what would've happened if I said yes?" Ashley asked Garth abruptly as they laid on the roof, arms crossed behind their head and staring up at the night sky in sad content ness.

"Well" Garth said, pondering and looking over at the woman. "I think you would be depresses as hell, like worse than when Dinah took you to live in Star" Garth told her. "I love you, but you don't know how to function at the thought of Dick not coming back to you in any capacity."

"And?" Ashley asked him hesitantly, turning to face her friend.

"If you said yes, I think it would've killed you" Garth said truthfully. "You act like your only lifeline is Dick Grayson, and it's not healthy at all to be so dependant on him to handle all the shit that goes on inside your head and your heart" He told her quickly, wondering how she would take his thoughts.

"I know it's not healthy" Ashley sighed. "I can't help it, Bruce started fucking me in the head the second Mom kicked the bucket the first time and then Dick was there for everything and now" Ashley paused to take a breath and gather her thoughts. "Now instead of being Ashley Wayne, Superhero, genius, CEO and undercover spy I'm just a washed up rich kid who wasted her life chasing someone who never really wanted her. Garth, I don't know what to do."

"Do any of us ever really know what to do?" He asked her.

"Diana does" Ashley said confidently.

"She's older than dirt and she still makes mistakes, try again."

"Ashley" The panicked voice of Dick erupted through her thoughts. The woman's eyes opened to just a sliver and took in the sight of nothing but sheer fear on her lover's face and her vision zeroed in on Jason and she gazed in blank confusion as he was covered in blood beside a boy with a black shirt and a red Superman symbol on it. Her eyes began to close once again as the headlights came into her vision, lighting up the night around her.

The bass was loud and the bodies were hot and for once, Ashley was having fun. Ashley laughed happily as she and Jade looked at each other deviously. "Dickhead's gonna kill me if he finds out what we've been doing" Jade yelled to her over the sound of the dropping bass.

"He's been heisting diamonds with some ginger bitch. If I cared about what he thought we were doing, I would have to remind him of his own shortcomings and nightly rendezvous" Ashley reminded her best friend, who gave her the signature Chesire grin.

"Rumour mills been churning out that Luthor is working on metagenes" Jade said, her implications unsaid though her concerns were understood by Ashley.

"It wouldn't surprise me" Ashley admitted. 

"It doesn't surprise any of us, but he's testing out ways to bring them out in dormant metas" Jade said.

"And you're telling me this, why?" Ashley asked her longtime friend to confirm her suspicions.

"Because I know who your aunt is" Jade snorted. "You need to watch out, be more careful."

"If I was more careful, I wouldn't have met you when I was fourteen" Ashley said before ordering a shot of whiskey.

"Anyways, why exactly did you move back to this shitbox instead of staying in warm, sunny California where you could be having sweaty sex on the beach?" Jade asked her before she drifted back into consciousness.

"-She has a pretty bad concussion and a contusion on her temporal bone, cracked ribs five through seven on both sides. I would give her a month at minimum before she is fully healed" An unfamiliar voice said.