12

San Francisco, California

The next morning was uneventful. Ashley was the first up at seven and decided to make breakfast since there wasn't much else to do. Ashley opened up the refrigerator to see what they had inside and cringed when she saw it. "We need to go grocery shopping" Ashley muttered, closing the door to the appliance and moving on to the pantry to see if there was anything in there. "Well, fine then" Ashley sighed, resigning herself to eating out for breakfast at a restaurant. 

"Ash!" Gar yelled, running into the kitchen practically glowing with excitement. "What's for breakfast?" He asked excitedly. 

"Well, since I have to order groceries, I figure we just eat out. There's a diner down the street that I don't think I've taken you to yet" Ashley told him. 

"Awesome" He said, making finger guns and running back off toward his room again while Ashley laughed. 

"It's only seven-fifteen" Ashley sighed, shaking her head.  "This is going eventful day" Ashley sighed, assuming that Gar would tell Connor that they would be eating out instead of getting breakfast. Ashley quickly got ready, stifling a yawn, and went out to sit in the living room while she waited on Connor and Gar though to her surprise they were already ready. 

♠♠♠

"So think of all of this, San Francisco, like one big, totally immersive, three-dimensional, interactive, multi-player video game" Gar explained to Connor as they walked down the street. "And you're Player One."

"Okay" Connor said hesitantly, his eyes darting to Ashley who walked beside the excited shapeshifter as she shook her head.

"And your job is to make sure that everyone stays safe and no one gets hurt" Gar said and Ashley smiled as they walked into the park. 

"Is that what the Titans do?" Connor asked Gar, both of them watching Ashley hesitantly as she caught sight of a white flower and smiled. 

"This is pretty, I should get some of these for the Palo Alto house" Ashley muttered, snapping a picture of it. 

"Well, we don't, but the old Titans did. Dick mostly just tried to keep us locked up in the Tower, even though Ashley took us out all the time" Gar chuckled and Ashley ruffled his hair. 

"Life's too short to be cooped up in that damn highrise all the time" She explained. 

"Jason, Rachel, and I talked about how we wanted more real-life experience though, and once the team is back together again, I think we'll get it" Gar told him. "I know this sounds crazy, but once the team knows you're awake and can see what you can do, they'll be back in a hurry."

"So, Gar... what can you do?"Connor asked him. Gar started laughing sheepishly and Ashley cackled. 

"It's no big deal" Gar stuttered as he walked backward, looking at Ashley to save him from the awkward situation. 

"It's all you tigerboy" Ashley smirked.

"Come on" Connor complained. "Can you show me?" He asked Gar. 

"Now's not the best time" Gar said awkwardly. 

"Well, can you tell me?" Connor asked him.

"Yeah, yeah" Gar acquiesced to his prying. "It's kind of weird, but I can turn into a tiger." Connor laughed 

 "No way!" Connor said excitedly while he giggled. "Yeah. What's a tiger?" He asked after a moment. Ashley looked at Gar and steered the group away from the civilians who were sitting nearby. Gar cleared his throat and began taking in deep breaths and watched as his head turned into that of a tiger's before quickly going back to his regular face.