Chapter 2

'I...We...Who are we?'

'Who am I?'

My knuckles struck the nearest wall. The impact and subsequent breeze from the new hole on the castle brought me out of my rambling. I stared at my armor clad hand as I flexed my fingers. The iron plates cracked from the force and blood oozed out of the openings.

Are we Mordred? Am I still different?' The dripping of my blood resounded throughout the empty room. The streams of blood on my palm and stinging pain were entrancing. I placed my hand upon my face, painting it red. Was it blood or was it tears that dripped from my face?

'Does any of this matter?' No matter how I tried to deviate from my original fate; no matter how much good I did. It was all for naught. Was my dedication and loyalty not enough?

Father rejected us...He rejected our sorrows...He rejected Lena!

'If so, then Father will get no more from me.' My breath quickened. The path of my future was clear; I would accept my fate and destroy Father. Grind his perfection to nothing. There is no we...There is only me.

"I am Mordred! MORDRED!! AHAHAH~!!"

--------------------------------------------------------

In the halls of a castle, a baron conversed with his attendant. The land and villages under his authority was small compared to the other noble families, but he still held his high status with pride. The authority came with responsibilities and burdens. Many of which were being discussed as the duo traversed through the baron's castle. The constant conflicts their nation had faced and the many demands by the royal court had wrung his land's of its fertility and the people of their livelihood.

"My lord, I do not believe the common folk will remain silent with the new increase in taxes." The attendant tried to reason with his master. Perhaps in hopes of finding other options in fulfilling the monthly quota set by the King and his advisors.

"There is no other way." The baron shook his head. His land was small and so was his bank of wealth. King Arthur wished to be perfect and in turn, build a grand capital where he shall reside. There was no reason to deny the perfect king his flawless palace. He was a divine being that could not be questioned. The construction was monstrous and required the support of most of the regions under Britain's rule. The baron was no exception. However, he had nothing to give. He needed the few remaining young men left in his territory to protect his borders and coins were in short supply. Providing food was out of the question as the harvest this year was lower than usual.

The lord of these lands was struck with depression. No matter what choice he made, his people would suffer for it. At least raising the taxes would allow his economy to maybe recover with time.

"The king is too perfect to do good for this nation." The baron pushed the door to his main office open. His eyes widened in trepidation as he saw a Knight of the Round Table facing a window. His attendant trembled at the presence of the knight. The duo had smeared their King in the earshot of a knight. Even worse was that it was Knight Mordred, the loyalist of the King's retainers. The baron could only silently pray that his minor slight was ignored.

"Oh, Sir Mordred. I did not expect your presence in this humble person's home." He bowed and nudged his attendant to do the same. "Please make yourself comfortable as I will notify the servants to prepare some refreshments."

"No need." The knight faced the baron. His armor was fully equipped, concealing every bit of skin and hair on his body. "I apologize for my unannounced visit. I won't intrude in your affairs for long."

Mordred placed his sword on the baron's desk. "Though I do want to hear some elaboration for your previous comments on our king."

"Lord Knight?" The baron gulped.

"No repercussions will be pushed upon your land or being. I am just curious."

The baron was uneasy about Mordred's appearance. He glanced at his friend, who nodded his head. With a deep breath to calm his nerves, the lord of this land spoke his mind. "King Arthur does not see his citizens through their eyes. He can not do so, alas he becomes imperfect and human once more."

"A king is by nature flawed...Human. That is why people of power, like myself, have those we trust advise us on our actions. They give a perspective uncharted in the mind of a ruler." Mordred's silence propelled the man to continue on his explanation.

"The very idea of perfection is distorted and those who thrive for it are not fit for the crown. Humility is a king's most valuable asset. And King Arthur has none."

"I agree." The baron was baffled by Mordred's response. For such a loyal knight to question his king, it was incredulous.

"I agree with every word you said." The baron felt the eyes of the knight upon his soul. "If you have the strength, how will you resolve Britain's problem?"

"Do you have the moral strength to act against the will of the world?" Mordred gazed upon his blade.

'Britain's problem.' The baron realized that the knight had already lost faith in their king. He had openly criticized King Arthur and Mordred accepted them whole heartily. The cross road presented to him was dangerous, but the risks were worth the price if it meant a better future for his land. It would be a bloody revolution. One which may surely succeed if Sir Mordred truly held the same ideas as himself.

He moved towards his workplace and picked up the sword with both hands. The weight was unbearable, both mentally and physically. The future of his family and land laid upon his hands.

"The best course of action is to--" There was no turning back. "--dethrone Arthur Pendragon." He presented the sheathed sword towards Mordred.

Mordred gave a simple nod and took his sword. Their fate was sealed in a pack for a new future through glorious rebellion and treachery.