Extra 0 *NEW*

"Why did you become a knight?"

Two figures leaned against an old tree in the sunny woods. The cool breeze of the early spring made the spot great for a light noon nap and an even better place to watch nature's inhabitants going about their lives.

A little girl glanced at her knight companion, curiosity clearly shown in her sparkling eyes.

"Well, I-"

The knight hesitated, not because she was afraid of the sudden query but because she didn't know how to answer it.

Why would an answer to this question matter since she was already a knight. Wasn't this irreverent?

Deep down, Mordred knew it was an excuse to hide the truth.

Why did she want to become a knight? Mordred thought to herself.

In Mordred's mind, it was her mother who taught her to become a knight. However, her mother's wish for her daughter's future was not out of love for her daughter. There was no love (no heart) for Mordred within Morgan's plans.

In Mordred's heart, it was King Arthur who inspired her to be a knight who serves the king. Yet, the knight's love for the king was just that -- blind devotion to a king that never once saw Mordred's face nor knew of Mordred's history. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that King Arthur and Mordred were mere acquaintances in the same workplace. There was no realistic logic behind the knight's loyalty to her king -- no mind to their relationship.

She knew these to be true and had rejected them. For if Mordred was to accept one or both truths, her motivations in becoming a knight will falter amidst the confusion and contradictions between what were truly her own desires and what were expectations forced upon her.

But...

Mordred glanced at Lena and ruffled the child's hair.

"I found people I want to protect." The knight gave a soft smile.

"Who is it?" Lena's eager voice resonated in the woods as her curiosity grew.

"It is someone you know very much about." Mordred vaguely answered.

"Is it papa?" Lena tilted her head in confusion, unsure if her answer was correct. Mordred reply was a warm smile, one like the spring sun that gives life to the woods they were relaxing in.

"I really want to know who it is!" The little girl pouted from not getting a straight answer from the knight. Again, no vocal response was given by Mordred. Instead the child's hair was ruffled some more by a large hand, which was met with an angrier pout.

...

...

In both mind and heart, Mordred found a truth she could confidently embrace as the reason for her to become a knight.

To protect those she cherish.

To see that pout and enjoy the peace they have together in these woods.