4. A GIRL LIKE YOU

[Alex on top]

"That was definitely not the answer I expected." Brad said as he looked at me shocked. "I think this is the first time someone says that."

"Is this a joke?" I asked him still not believing it. "Are you like pranking me or something?"

There was confusion all over his face. 

"No why?" Brad said as he frowned. "Why would I do that?" 

I started to walk away from him, this was too good to be true, he was probably just playing.

"Alex wait!" Brad said as he caught up with me again. "Just listen to me will you?"

"Look Brad, if Heather put you up to this just drop it once and for all, okay?" I told him as I shook my head, this was a new low for her. "I don't want to be messed with."

"Why do you think I wouldn't want to date you?" Brad asked as he grabbed my arm stopping me. "Why is it so hard to believe?"

"You wouldn't date my type." I simply answered with a shrug, that was the most reasonable thing. "That is the most obvious explanation."

He nodded smiling before he shook his head.

"Just think about it Alex, I am not joking." Brad said as he rushed to school. "I do hope you change your mind."

I got to my locker and I found it covered with pig pictures and writing from people with oh so creative insults and remarks, I started to take them off and as people passed by the made pig noises at me.

"Hey Alex, what are you doing?" Ian said as he came to my locker and leaned against it looking so casual.

"Hey." I said as I threw the papers away to the garbage. "You got here early."

"What is that?" Ian asked as he saw the crumbled up mess. "What are those papers?"

"Nothing, it's nothing." I said as I threw them to the garbage can that was near by. "Don't worry about it Ian." 

"Oink, oink little piggy, do you still want more cake?" A football player yelled as he passed by. 

"You should tell the principal." Ian said as he shook his head at the guys. "Those air heads need to be punished."

"And be a snitch? No thank you." I told him, I knew exactly what the consequences of that would be. "I would never get the end of that."

I went to my locker and open it to find a purple crystal lily that had a paper attached to it. I open it and it said, "I wanted to confess my feelings, I like you."

"That is so cute." I said in a small voice as I looked at it shocked. "And to think the things crushes make you do."

Ian just stared at me in complete silence.

"I'll have to thank him later." I said as I smiled to myself.

"You know who it was?" Ian asked as he met my gaze. "You know who did this?"

"Yes, it was Brad." I said as I shrugged, I mean who else could it be?

"Brad, as in the Brad, are you sure Alex?" Ian asked as he looked at me shocked, just completely taken back by my answer.

It was so obvious; I mean who else would do this?

"Yes, he asked me out this morning. This explains everything." I told him with a huge grin. "It actually changed my perspective of everything."

"Brad asked you out?" Ian said slowly not quite believing me. "Like on a date, asked you out?"

"Yes, he did."
 I told him with a small proud nod, maybe Brad saw the things in me others didn't. "This morning before we got to school he walked with me and asked me."

"What did you say?" Ian asked. "Did he say something about this flower?"

"Nothing, he just told me to think about it." I said with a small smile already planning how I would accept his offer. "Brad said that he would love if I changed my mind and went out with him."

"Alex, don't say yes. It's some sort of joke, why would Brad date a girl like you?" Ian asked as he frowned. "I mean, you out of all people he would ask."

What did Ian just say? 

Did he seriously just say that to me?

"A girl like me, what do you mean by that?" I asked him shocked. "What is that supposed to mean Ian?"

"It's not worth-."
Ian started to say before I caught him off.

"You mean I'm not good enough?" I asked him shocked. "That I don't deserve to date someone like Brad?"

Why of all people would Ian say this to me?

"Alex, this is a bad idea."
Ian told me. "I don't think you should do this, you're not really listening to me nor are you letting me explain myself."

"Just like my brother said."
I said as I looked at him and shook my head. "You're just like him, so narrowed minded."

"Well you should listen to him. You can't date Brad just look at yourself." Ian told me as he gestured me. "You can't be with someone like Brad."

I simply nodded as I felt the lump in my throat.

He really had said it.

"Alex I'm sorry I didn't mean to-." Ian started to say once he heard himself. "That came out wrong, let me-."

"Save it Ian. We both clearly know what you meant." I said as I slammed my locker shut and rushed to my class, which didn't start until eight meaning I had thirty minutes. I entered the empty classroom as tears started to roll down. 

"Alex, are you alright?" Brad asked me as he entered the classroom after me. I shook my head. It didn't matter when people called me nerd, piggy or fat, but Ian's word did hurt me. He was the one that always told me I was pretty no matter what, the one that always believed in me. 
Brad wrapped his arms around me and brushed my tears away. 

"Yeah, I'm fine I just need to be alone for a moment." I said as I couldn't stop crying. "I just need..."

I trailed off.

What? What did I need?

I just need Ian, my best friend.

Oh yeah, my ex best friend actually.

"It's alright Alex." Brad said as he hugged me tighter. "I'm here for you, you're not alone."

In that moment, I didn't feel being classified like "A girl like you" or "That girl". I felt like I belonged right here in Brad's arms.

He could make the pain go away and I would be numb...