4- Missing Mage

It's been four days since I've sent a letter to Milo and he has not responded. My pigeon returned with my letter unopened, but there was another letter attached to her leg. I took both and read the new letter, recognizing the seal. It was from Master Ofran, saying we will be having a meeting today.

I look at my calendar. It's been four days now since I've come back. I have a meeting today and I haven't met Milo yet. This is the second time he hasn't responded to me. My pigeon knows how to do her job, so it's Milo who is sending her back. But why? I need to speak with him and ask him to he an ally against Catherina.

I untie the letters and send them both to rest. I leave my study, knowing it'll take me time to get ready for the meeting.  It's early in the morning, the sun is just rising and I haven't slept. It doesn't matter how little sleep I got, I need to arrive early to speak privately with Milo.

I walk to my room, passing by Anna who is surprised to see me up. I instruct her to get me ready, saying I have business to attend to. Matilda comes in shortly after but I send her out to inform the butler to ready the carriage. I am quickly bathed and changed into my mage cloths, makeup concealing my under eyes. I haven't slept in two days. I curse my insomnia, wishing I could sleep normally.

I exit the house and see there are three carriages being set. I frown, not wanting to see my father. Luckily, he isn't here yet, just Elric. I walk forward and wait next to him while the riders get the horses aligned. Elric doesn't look at me, nor I at him.

"You're up early." He breaks the silence.

"I never slept." I state. I fan myself, bored with the waiting.

"Sister," He calls my name and I look up at him. He looks down at me. "Where are you off to?"

I look down at my outfit. I'm wearing my Head Mage robe. I have on the official robes of the Magic Tower, I wouldn't wear this anywhere else. I look back up at him, wondering if this is a joke. I shouldn't expect it, so I refrain from being sarcastic.

"I have a very important meeting. Why are you up early?" I ask, curious about him and if he's suddenly gained some humor. He has a straight face, completely serious, but then a twitch in his lip reveals the joke. I turn away from him and I feel his gaze leave.

"I have a meeting with the great duchies, all Captains are meeting today." He informs me.

"All? Doesn't Duke Driscol not leave the North?" I question, curious about the mysterious man. No one really knows how he looks like. He didn't show up at my royal wedding, ever elusive and almost creepy. He hasn't shown his face since his parents died almost a decade ago and when he supported the exiled Prince, everyone grew more interested.

"He comes and goes. While it is a journey, he uses the magical portal that allows him to travel across great areas." He informs me. I nod my head, that device is rare and extremely valuable.

"Yet he remains isolated from society. Why?" I ask, curious about my fiancé's cousin.

"Why do you care?" He asks me, voice sharp with growing anger. I stop fanning and look up at him, he doesn't look at me.

I suddenly remember that he also doesn't like Duke Driscol. They've fought a lot as young adolescents and that lasted until adulthood. I never cared much to hear about the many people Elric doesn't like, but I'm sure something stupid happened and my brother can hold a grudge. My brother can be quite petty, but I need him on my side.

"I'm just making conversation." I state curtly. He doesn't say anything, we both don't. As the carriages finish up, we are informed we can enter.

I see my usual guard- Maddox- standing by my carriage. I steel my disappointment. He works for Ivan. He sends Ivan updates on my life, where I'll be and who've I met with. I have to get him fired, but Elric will question why the sudden change. I'll have to come up with a way to get him away from me. I walk forward to my carriage and to the smiling guard.