7- Family acting like a family

I hold my hands as we enter the gates of my mansion. I'm incredibly late to the family dinner that is rarer than snow in summer. Father did say not to be late and I am very much so. I look out at the night sky as I touch my neck, no longer bleeding but incredibly sore. I was just given a fresh handkerchief by the officers, hopefully I don't scar.

The carriage stops and I hold my breath. From outside, I can hear Maddox call for the family doctor. I smirk as he tries to save face by instructing a servant to get my maids here to help me to my room.

By the time he opens my door, there's a big commotion. Servants peer through the windows and the brave ones stand on the steps. Maddox helps me off the carriage and I play the injured role. I want him out of my life.

"Lady Solon!" My maid Anna shrieks from the top of the stairs. She starts running to me. I hold onto Maddox, forcing myself to trip. He holds me tightly, face shaken with fear of another bruise on my skin.

By the time Anna reaches me, I'm at the bottom of the stairs. Maddox just picks me up, no doubt just wanting to get away from the whispers and the curious eyes. I see some people run away but their mouths run faster.

He walks me through the foyer and into the greeting room where guests should be met. We don't have guests and it's the closest room to the front door. He sets me on the couch and I feign exhaustion. Anna runs around me, asking me questions a mile a minute, grabbing pillows and sitting me up and fretting over my health. I smile and weakly tell her I'm okay.

"What happened?" My father yells, voice booming the room as he slams the doors open. I sit up straighter and look over the couch, making sure my head and neck are in full view. I see my father and brother walk in.

"Giselle?" Elric gasps. He quickly walks to me, standing by my side. He grabs my cheek and carefully looks over me, staring at every bandage and blister that is peeking out. He turns to Sir Maddox. "You, what happened to her?"

"She-"

"Brother," I groan. I touched my throat to act more injured. He lets go of me and I sit back into the cushion.

"Giselle," my father shushes me. He takes the couch in front of me and leans forward so he can clearly see me. "What happened?"

I take a deep breath. "After my meetings, I went to the Capital for some food. I sent Sir Maddox to reserve a table when I saw my friend Lady Horla. I joined her for a walk in the park and we got lost and ended in the Underbend."

"The Underbend? Where were you? Did you bother looking for my sister?" Elric raises his voice at Maddox.

"I spent the entire time looking for Lady Solon, Captain." Sir Maddox manages to defend himself, but his voice shakes.

"Continue on how you got those cuts." My father instructs. At this time, Anna hands me water and I drink it.

"We were lost and we were stalked. The stalker lured us into a dead end. He hit me with a dart that was either poisonous or magical, the Imperial army is currently looking into it. I made a barrier but without my tools and my mana being poisoned... it broke." I look down in shame. How can a Master Mage be so weak?

"I'm surprised you managed to make a barrier." Elric nods. "In danger, many fail to act rationally."

I look up and smile at him, glad he doesn't see me as weak. I clear my throat before continuing. "I protected Lady Horla and he kept attacking me with a magical weapon which ultimately broke the barrier. He grabbed me. He- he cut me and said he loved killing ladies like us... like me. He loved to hear me scream and kept-" I force out a sob, which wasn't hard because I forced tears at the middle of my small speech.