8- Meeting with the Masters

Once again, I couldn't sleep due to my newest near- death experience and with the many things I have to accomplish. However, last night I came up with a plan to get the rings. I'm going to get my secretary to do it for me, he's one of the closest people I can trust on. I need him to investigate for me, and luckily he likes to snoop and gossip.

Lucky for me, it was the last day of the work week, which meant I would be going to the Magic Tower Academy. So there I was, leaving the carriage after a grueling ride, three days of no sleep. Sir Elliot followed me through the halls of the Academy. It was still early in the morning, and no students were on the premise. Some people still walked around, but I caught their voices.

My secretary Mage Kramer would be coming into 'my office' and we would having meetings all day. It was a tiring day, but it wasn't so bad because it was once a week. Besides, around this time of year there aren't many things worthy of gossip.

A knock on my door stops me from looking at the small section of books. I walk back into the room and see Mage Kramer walking in, tall and unruly curly hair. I greet him with a wave and smile, gesturing for him to meet me by my desk.

"How has your morning been? I hope the ride wasn't terrible." He says as I sit down.

Kramer wobbles over and sits down dramatically, letting his heavy bag collapse on the floor. "Not terrible," I chuckle at his off behavior. "Now, let's go over the important things. New students and the amount of people wanting to study Ancient Magic." I sigh sadly.

There aren't many people who want to study Ancient Magic. First, you'll have to learn the complicated Ancient language called Prima. Then you'll have to learn about the rich history of the spirits which our current teacher bores about. Lastly, you learn about curses, enchantments and ancient artifacts which are the interesting things. People take these as electives and they're the best parts of Ancient Magic. But, many people don't want to put effort into it so our enrollment is low.

"Well," Kramer leans over his chair and digs into his bag. "With the Grand Sorcerer's new plan the Master Mages approved, general enrollment to the Academy has increased."

"Yes," I nod my head, remembering the new rule that many of the older Masters hated. "He expanded the acceptance to commoners as well, not just nobles or the rich."

"That means, we have a new class of first years." Kramer takes out a thick packet and it falls in front of me. I grab it and see it's labels as the new students. As Kramer looks for another thing in his bag, I open the packet.

I see a picture of a student, where they're from and empty spaces of their strengths and weaknesses. The first year's first week is an assessment where they will be tested on their strengths and weaknesses. From there, they will follow the core classes, but they can choose a general direction of where they want to study. Once they reach their third year, their studies become more focused.

"These are the students who will be in our program." Kramer slides over a small packet. I hum, taking it and opening. I frown when I see that there are only 2 candidates. Our program is important, but it is pretty small.

"So, we enter the year with 32 people in the Ancient Magic program." I sigh, dropping the packet and rubbing my temple. The 32 people are already working at our program and we are stretched thin. 32 people are struggling to do jobs meant for over a hundred. "Why don't people want to join us? We're cool, aren't we cool?"

I look at him. He has thick curly black hair, big eyes shining through glasses and he's pretty skinny and sloppy looking. "The coolest. Anyways, another thing I wanted to bring up about our program..."

He hesitates to speak and I narrow my eyes as he stammers. "What is it?" I ask, resting my elbows on my desk.

"Mage Hews is pretty old and wants to retire before the school year starts."