16- Execution

The end of the trial left me dazed. Everyone came up to me, shaking my hand and asking me if I was alright and what the next steps the Tower would be taking. I didn't speak. I chose not to. I was pinned to the prince's side. He kept me in his hand, by the time I returned to my carriage with Elric, my wrist bruised.

The following day was quiet. I silently worked in my office, no tower- scaling Northern soldiers or owls bothered me. I was alone and the comfort lasted a day.

I now stood in the colosseum with my brother in our box. I had all black with a veil covering my face. My brother was dressed in his military uniform, his face blank as we watched the scene ahead of us.

It was the execution of the young Count Masik.

It was crowded. It was loud. The commoners crowded up, pressing against each other below us and the guards that kept my brother and I safe guarded the entrance to our box. I was untouched, but the screaming and the shouts pounded my ears as they yelled for the man to show his face.

In my past life, he killed more women. I believe he confessed to twenty girls that he raped and killed all for personal pleasure. He was evil, twisted and cruel. However, he's caught now. I saved my new friend from the fate that awaited her. I look to my right where I see her. She sits in her own box below me, dressed in a similar fashion but all in a dark green. I look at my friend- friend.

What a silly word. A person who means dear to you, but I barely know her. She is nice and does the bare minimum. However, she makes me look nicer and kinder and I need all the help I can get before she comes.

The crowd gets louder and Horla puts her hand over her mouth. I look over and see the door is opening to the ground below. The crowd gets wilder, booing and throwing of objects lands on the barren field.

I get flashbacks to my own execution. I look down from the place where I looked up to my father. He must've sat in this exact spot, watching me as I entered the ring. I remember my own execution. The weight of the rope around my neck as Ivan taunted me. I watch the sadist walk to where I stood on the part of the drop- stage.

He wore the same measly robes as I did. He looked terrible, but I stayed in the dungeons for weeks while he was there for a day. I can't help but reflect myself onto him. I watch as he already has a rope around his neck, hands bound in front of him. He looks around the angry mob, a smile on his lips chill me.

The crowd gets crazier as I'm sure Ivan has stood up ready to command the killer's death- death by lion. I don't bother looking up. I force myself to sit still and carefully breathe in and out. I close my eyes, feeling the floor under my feet shake and the voices get deafening. I am reminded of my own death. I can't breathe well, taking shaky breaths.

"Sister," Elric taps my shoulders and I jump. "Are you okay?"

I open my eyes and look at him. I see that he looks concerned, his eyebrows furrowed in the slightest way. He leans over his chair to get a better look at me, trying to see through my veil. I stand and shake my head.

"I can't see this. I'll head home."

"Wait-"

"Brother," I sigh and take his hand off of my wrist. "You have to meet with the Imperial officers and speak about what has just occurred. I can't watch a man die, even if he wanted to kill me. I need to head home and clear my head."

Elric nods. "Take the carriage. I'll see you when I go home."

I nod and quickly walk out of the entrance. I see Sir Elliot waiting for me. I tell him to get the carriage ready. I say I'll walk around to get some fresh air before meeting him downstairs. He nods at my commands and leaves me alone.