10- The Trash Man Makes a Visit

It was early night and I was finally asleep a little after 72 hours of no sleep when I was awakened. My maid Anna entered, shaking me awake.

"Master," She grabs my hands and pulls me to a sitting position. I look around to see another maid running to my closet. I wave my hand and the candles light up so that I can see the other maid heading to my jewelry.

"What's happening? Is something the matter?" I ask, fear striking me that the devil has come earlier.

"The Prince is here." Anna whispers and then lightening strikes and the light fills the dark room. I look behind me to see a thunderstorm.

"What?" I whisper, not sure why that crazy bastard is here, in the middle of a terrible thunderstorm no less.

"Miss, you need to be dressed to see your fiancé." Anna urges me to stand up and I see another maid has grabbed my dress. It's a simple design, one for the house and easy to move in. I nod, I don't care about dressing nice at... nine in the night.

As I'm dressed, I'm frozen in fear. I think Warrens had went to her cousin after the tea party and told him of what happened. I've seen how bold she is with him. She must've pushed him to see me... but I don't want to see him.

But it doesn't matter. He's here and I'm being changed to meet him. I'm still in a daze, but Anna hands me off to a guard who isn't mine. Sir Elliot must be resting for the night.

The guard escorts me, silent so I can be in my thoughts. I think of my past life. Our failure of a wedding where he danced with Catherina for the first dance. How he came to see me in the prisons, raping me over and over again. Finally at the day I died where he was cruel to me in my final moments. I use those memories to steel a fortress, one that he cannot break.

I'm lead to the greeting room where he must be sitting in. I take a deep breath and enter, shaking the terrible memories of my past. I look around and see my fiancé standing by the window and looking at the dreadful weather.

I close the door as lightning strikes and his body is illuminated. He has dark black hair, it shining blue in the light. He turns around and his grey eyes connect with my green ones. He's handsome, but devilishly so and it makes me sick to my stomach to see him. I look around the room and spot a jewelry box, a copy of the Damned King and some letters on the table. He knows.

"Prince Ivan, a pleasure to be in your presence," I curtsy, reminding myself to not show fear. He walks towards me and I stay close to the door. He pauses by the sofa, sitting down and patting the spot next to him. I swallow and stiffly walk to him, sitting down as normal as I can be.

I look down, not making eye contact with him. This is my first time looking at him since my death... I scratch my neck, the painful tug of death has hit me once more.

"Lady Giselle, it's been too long. I must apologize for not seeing you after your injury. Is this it?" He reaches forward and touches my cheek.

I flinch at his touch, if he notices he doesn't say. He puts his finger on my cheek and traces the scar. I avoid his gaze, gripping my lame dress and looking at my white knuckles. I take controlled breaths, making sure I look as calm as I can.

"Yes, I have received injuries from the serial killer and was sadden to see you have not visited me during my time of need." I say, voice void of emotion, void of fear.

"I was busy," he shrugs and lets go of me and reaches to the table. "Here's a gift, an 'I'm sorry for not seeing you when you're perfectly fine and I was too busy' gift. You will wear it for the hunting tournament."

I ignore his words and I watch him open it. I control my face when I see it's a thick diamond choker. "It's beautiful." I blandly say, really not wanting weight on my neck.