22- Rides with the Grand Sorcerer

I ride with Milo to the Academy, my day turning longer by the hour. I ask some more private questions about what occurred after my death.

"Did you ever visit my grave? Where was I laid?" I ask, curious to how my family cared for me. Wondering if I laid in the Royal cemetery or my family's. Milo doesn't make eye contact, looking down at his feet and biting his lip nervously. He shakes his head, asking for another question. I frown, unsure why he isn't answering.

"Milo, where was I buried?" I repeat, trying to make eye contact with him.

He curses and looks into my eyes. "No one knew where your body was. It was rumored that King Ivan, had taken your body and hid it in the castle. Your brother had an empty grave in your family's cemetery."

My mouth drops in horror, I cover my mouth. I knew what he did to me, he still must've kept me for his... pleasure. I take heavy breaths, disgusted and mortified. Milo speaks to me, his voice sounding so distant, so far.

I take a deep breath and nod. There is no use in changing the past, but I can change what happens. Prince Ivan cannot continue treating me like his toy. I wave the conversation and change it.

I catch Milo up on all that has changed since he has left. I tell him of the trial, my near death experience that has provoked anger in the common class.

"That's stupid. You don't even control the use of magical weapons. You're more of a... historian, a researcher." Milo grunts.

I clap my hands. "Exactly! People are just too stupid, they don't even know what Ancient Magic is. They thought I was able to curse the man into making him kill me."

"How stupid are they? If you curse anyone, you will be in extreme agony. It's literally a binding vow you made years ago." Milo makes a face.

"I said that in court. They didn't even look into my work before throwing accusations."

We gossip some more about the new changes in the Tower. We made the carriage soundproof, a habit we always do when we speak and gossip like young teens.

"So you're telling me, Master Peant's own secretary ratted him out in front of all the Masters and the Council on top off all of that- he is now the Master?" Milo asks. I nod and smile and he whistles. "What I would've paid to see that."

"It was pretty amusing. He was furious." I chuckle, feeling at ease with Milo. "But he's only the interim. You have to interview him." I remind Milo of his duties. When I do, he makes a face and waves that away.

"God, I'm glad he's gone." Milo stretches his arms over his head. "He kept trying to undermine me. Doesn't he know how powerful I am?"

I roll my eyes at a man throwing his weight around. "Yeah, yeah you're the Grand Sorcerer, I know. I don't care about your power." I remind him.

Milo smiles at me. "I'm glad you don't treat me differently."

I can't help to let out a chuckle. Milo may be one of the most important people on this continent, but he still acts like a child around me. I know he can be serious when need be, but I like this side of him. I cover the chuckle with a cough and settle down in silence.

"Giselle," I look up and see Milo leaning forward, a serious look on his expression.

"What?"

"We need to talk about how I was able to bring you back." He says and I nod, leaning forward. "I went to the Bulnan tribe."

"I thought they were extinct." Recalling a small group of natives that faced a dark history of genocide and hatred.

He shakes his head. "They're very much alive. I spoke to their elder and well... she told me how to bring back a person from the dead in exchange for some... conditions we have to follow."