9- Book Club Initiation

I was quickly changed. Lady Horla sent me an invitation for late tea early this morning. In the invite, she wanted to celebrate our survival from the serial killer. As I was changing, Elric came and told me of the current news. When I returned from the Magic Tower and told him of the inspection of the magical weapon Master Ofran would do, he went to update the Imperial guards.

Now, he has told me that the Count is still refusing to claim that his son is the serial killer. He claims that the attacker was drunk and is trying to put the blame on Horla and I for walking in the Underbend as women. I started to get angry from behind the curtain. Elric tells me not to be too upset, that he's already fighting with him via our group of lawyers working with the Horla lawyers as well.

Once I'm changed, I tell him that I'll be attending tea with Lady Horla. He nods, telling me not to push myself as he stands up. He walks over to me, staring intently at my face. I bet he's looking at the potions that I took to heal the wounds. He says I'm looking much better, and with the ointment I was given, I should have no scars. But for now, I just have a red scar down my neck.

We talk for a few moments as I get the rest of my jewelry on. I have stopped wearing necklaces because it triggers the feeling of the coarse rope around me when I fell to my death. Instead, I've chosen to have my hair down, fancy hair ornaments take the focus off of my neck. I still wear the elaborate earrings, bracelets and rings.

Once done, Elric walks me to my carriage. We keep up an affable conversation, he makes a joke and I start laughing at it. We chuckle about it, a joke from a new series of books that 'just came out'. He puts me on my carriage where Sir Elliot is ready to go. Soon enough I'm on my way and I wave goodbye to Elric.

I look down at the invitation, knowing that I would be walking into a group of young ladies who did not like me in the past. However, I need them to like me and I need them to be my friends, my allies against her. I sigh, hoping I can do it. Her friend group is very influential, they were originally hers. I close my eyes, the many hours of staying awake now getting to me.

I'm shaken awake and I open my eyes to see Sir Elliot staring at me. He tells me we've arrived and I nod, stretching my arms above my head and he exits the carriage. I step out and take his arm, making sure to grab my gift before leaving. I look at the Count's mansion. It's pretty big, but my mansion is bigger which isn't surprising.

A butler waits for us on the top of the steps. He tells me that everyone has already been seated, and they're waiting for me. He instructs us to follow him to the garden. It's a short walk, and the garden is beautiful. I see a table of young ladies, ladies who tormented me in the past. But, this time is different. I rarely go out on social parties, this is the first time since my engagement a year ago.

I separate myself for Sir Elliot, telling him to stay around but not to cause trouble and relax if he can. He nods and leaves me. I walk towards the ladies and see Lady Horla eagerly wave. This grabs their attention and I put a smile on my face as Lady Horla skips over to me.

"Master Solon!" She greets me, wrapping her arms around my arm. My smile softens as I notice she uses my preferred name.

"Hello Lady Horla, I made you a gift." She gasps and sits me on the seat next to her.

"You- you shouldn't have!" She sits down. "I'll open it after I introduce you to everyone. This is Lady Marlene Down, her father is Duke Down. This is Lady Emry Accott, her father is Count Accott. This is Lady Olga Warrens, her father is Count Warrens. Lastly, Lady Tabitha Perks, her father is Duke Perks."

In sequential order is the young Lady Down with thick black hair and bangs hanging over her eyebrows. She has a pretty dress on, and elaborate jewels. Lady Accott has bright orange hair and green, shining eyes that eagerly look at me. Lady Warrens has blonde hair and blue eyes, a gentle smile on her face, a face of an angel but she's pretty vicious. Lastly, Lady Perks her soft brown hair and matching eyes, eyes casted down in a glare as she looks at me.