13

-Matteo Rossi-

I drove 15 over the speed limit. Only for a little while.

I glanced over at a sleeping Alia, her face set in a relaxing calm as he hair splayed over her shoulders.

She made me slow down and drive safely.

Because of the traffic of New York on a Friday night, it took just about 30 minutes for us to get back into the city, and another 45 to get to her apartment.

But the entire time, she slept.

She fell asleep about ten minutes after we left the sight. And honestly, I don't think she slept at all the past few nights.

But now, now I felt guilty. I felt guilty to have to wake her up.

I moved back a strand of hair that fell over her face.

"Alia," I whispered, "We're here." She moved a bit, groaning in the process.

I really didn't want to wake her up.

I sighed, "Do you want me to get you your stuff?" I whisper.

She nods.

"Is the key still in the wall?" She nods again and turns over.

I leave the key in the ignition before getting out.

I pressed the button for the elevator, the doors opened.

Stepping inside, I turn on my reflection to the numbers on the side. My finger going to the number 5.

The doors open on the first floor, however. The parking garage is underground. I was really hoping I'd get the elevator to myself.

Two men, dressed in all black enter. Even through the blazers, I caught a glimpse of the guns pressed to their sides.

I straighten a bit, pressing my arm to my side, almost as insurance that my gun is there.

The bell dings as we reach the fifth floor. I step out and give the men a nod which they grant back.

I go to Alia's door and dig between the frame and the wall for her spare key.

I push the door open after turning the lock. Her apartment was the same as I remembered from a week ago.

Only a few pieces of silverware and a cup or two left in the sink.

Some mail piled in a stack on her dining table.

The plants scattered around her house still thriving.

"So they are fake." I mumble to myself.

I make my way to her bedroom, turning the light on.

Her bed was made, the floors clean. And her bathroom and closet doors closed.

I go to her closet first to get a pajama set.

She said she wanted slutty, so I'll get her slutty.

I go through a bin that was labeled: PJs.

I pulled out a rose gold set. The shorts looking to be high rise and the shirt being nothing but a lace bra.

I smiled at my choice.

I go to another bin that was labeled: undergarments.

I pulled out a black lace set. It was almost identical to the set she wore that night I first came here. But I knew it wasn't the same because I saw that set in the basket in the corner of the closet.