24

-Alia Romano-

"And he knew. He fucking knew all that time and didn't tell me." I said quietly.

"You need to talk to him. Maybe it was all just a misunderstanding." Evret said. His voice distant.

I put my hands behind my head, "No. no if it were, he would've told me."

"And I would be alive." He said.

I opened my eyes and sprung forward. I was sweating.

"Ev?"

Silence.

no. no. no. no this can't be happening. he's gone.

I shoved the blankets from around me. I felt like I was laying in a pool of sweat.

I was still at Matteo's apartment. In his guest room.

It didn't feel real. It didn't feel like he was gone. It felt like he was just right here, laying right next to me and listening to me ramble. He had done that not even a few weeks ago.

"This is bad." I shook my head and swung my legs off the bed, "Like really bad."

Maybe I need to get help.

I stumbled to the door and slowly opened it. Nothing but the silent creak of the hinges, and the air conditioning running above.

I stepped quietly out into the dark hallway and started making my way to the kitchen.

Considering the lack of clothes I was wearing, I was shivering from how cold it was.

I pulled the fridge door open and saw the container of grapes. I grabbed that and a bottle of water as well.

I brought them to the high chairs at the counter and sat. When I looked at the glowing number on the stove, it read 3 am.

"Great. The devils hour." I whispered to myself.

"I only see an Angel."

I jumped at the sudden voice of Matteo. When I turned, I saw him sitting up on the couch, his shirt off and a glass in his hand.

His hair was messy, and not from laying down. Definitely from him running his hand through. Or me.

I put a hand over my heart to calm my breathing. "Don't do that." I said.

I watched him stand up and make his way to me.

"Why? You scared?" He tilted his head.

I glared at him, "Considering my hand over my chest and the scream that just came from me, yeah. I would say so."

He stopped right in front of me. I looked him up and down with the little space between us. I huffed and turned in my seat, only for him to lean forward and wrap one hand around my waist.

"Why are you up?" He asked.

I shrugged, the pettiness still in me, "The water and fruit isn't answer enough?"

He put his chin on my shoulder, "Why are you mad at me?"

I didn't answer him. Part of me had a reason to be mad, but another part of me really didn't.

"Ali?" He went straight, my back to his front. His hand moving up and down the front side of my abdomen.

I bit my lip to suppress the moan that was looking for escape when he cupped his hand under my breast.

"Answer me please." He kissed my neck.

With him this close, I could smell the alcohol in his breath. I tipped my head back to savor his warmth.