28

-Alia Romano-
*the next day*

Matteo is very bossy.

Like very... very bossy.

I think the worst part is that he actually has his hand on his hip and the other is pointing to people.

"No! No, that goes over there!" He yelled at someone.

I stood back and watched as he advanced forward to do something himself.

"We need this crate for when we get the package. Have it emptied and cleaned." He ordered.

I bit my lip and played with my acrylics. He walked back to me, "We leave in an hour. You ready?" He asked.

I nodded my head.

A smile approached his lips and his hands went to my waist, "What's with the lip biting?" He kissed my jaw.

I groaned and wrapped my arms around his neck.

Truthfully, it's an anxiety thing I've developed.

I'm nervous, and I know exactly why.

My expression tilted down and Matteo caught it.

"Hey, hey it's okay." He said in a gentle tone, "Everything is going to be okay."

I shook my head, "We can't be sure of that."

He opened his mouth but closed it a second later. He was at a loss of words. And we both knew why.

~

"Two teams, I'm team A, Matteo is Team B. The goal is to get the package and get out. Nothing more nothing less, understand?" I loaded my gun.

Heads nodded and a few people murmured their doubts or prayers.

"I said do we understand?" I spoke up again.

They all straightened, "Yes Ma'am!"

I finished hearing up and went to Matteo's side. He loaded his gun and strapped a few knives to his leg.

"Come here." He prodded.

He tilted his head to mine, our foreheads touching. He held my hands between his.

"Please," he whispered, "Please for the love of god, please be careful Tesoro."

My eyes started to sting.

"Please." He murmured.

I nodded, "I will." My voice was barely recognizable. I swallowed my emotions and looked up at him, "And you too. In and out. No funny business."

He chuckled, "Certo che non il mi amore." He kissed my head.

~

We stood outside of a warehouse. Darkness had finally decided to settle over head and it was now up to the flashlights of our guns to lead a path for us.

Before we broke off into our groups, I instructed everyone to check themselves.

I sent Matteo off to check the other side of the building while we waited for his signal.

I listened through the ear piece, his heavy breathing and the slight sound of his boots hitting the ground, his vest moving against his body, and the sound of the night creatures.

Then someone grunted.

I went still.

The sound of punches being thrown. One man sounded like they were being choked.