30

-Alia Romano-

I sat in the most uncomfortable chair ever. Sam was laying in the bed, a tube down his throat and the mystery of when he'd wake up.

I kept playing with the necklace he had for his sister. The doctors had to take it off to complete the surgery.

My thumb ran over the butterfly repeatedly.

My shaking hadn't stopped, but my tears had.

Turns out, Sam is a 17 year old recruit. He only joined because after his parents died, he needed to support himself and his sister which, she was only 8.

The little girl slept on the couch on the other side of the room.

I haven't given her the necklace yet, because I promised Sam he would do it himself, which he will.

"Hey." Matteo knocked on the door, "Everything okay?" He watched me.

I took a trembling breath and nodded. Leaning to the bedside table, I placed the necklace there and stood.

Matteo watched as I took shaking steps towards him but rushed to me the second I tripped.

He slipped one arm under my knees and the other behind my neck, before carrying me to another room.

It was dark and quiet, and peaceful. He laid me in the bed before placing himself next to me and pulling me into his body.

I wrapped my arms around him and breathed in his scent.

"What if we got married?" He sparked conversation.

I wasn't entirely surprised by this question, but it also sparked more questions behind it.

"Not right now of course, but in the future. Would you be okay with that?" He pulled back the slightest to look at me.

I couldn't help but smile, "Yeah." I whispered, "I'd like that."

The corners of his lips stretched o far they could reach the stars.

"Would you take my last name?" I asked.

"Anything for my queen." He kissed my head.

"1 kid." I said, "I don't know what I would do with two demons running around the house."

He chuckled, "One little demon it is. Any names?"

I could feel the tears burning the back of my eyes, "Angel. It's unisex so. And I don't know how I would feel if I named our child after our dead best friend."

He nodded in understanding, "It's the name he chose. I love it."

"And we'll live in a big house, beach side preferably. I want to be able to host parties and make people jealous."

"How about in Peru?" He added.

I nodded, "Or anywhere hot and beautiful, like us."

"Oh but there are so many places to choose from. Guam. Bermuda. Mexico."

"Italy. I want Angel to grow up around their culture." I settled.

He agreed, "Private school?"

"Public. I don't want to shield them with money. I want them to have a childhood."

"And one week out of the month, they spend it with My Mama, so we can have all the sexy time we want."

I hummed, "Mmm and maybe by chance, we can have another little demon."

"Reconsidering now are we?" He smirked.

Even in his hold, I felt the most protected ever. The happiest ever. I felt.