Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

Prologue

Her heart was beating fast. Too fast. She was sure everyone around her could hear it too. She had managed to blend into the crowd, and her first week of 9th grade was going by without a problem. Until gym. Coach T had just finished explaining the rules of dodge ball, and this was her game. Her game. Yeah, the new shy girl Keylime Serene was as competitive and athletic as the five football jocks that were just placed on the opposite team before her. After hiding all week long, her fire was barely contained and she was ready to kick their jockey smirks right off their faces. Racing forward, she grabbed three balls in her hand and stood right at the opposing teams line, throwing those balls as hard as she could at Matt Johnson, the team's linebacker. All three hit him in the stomach and she grinned. One down, four to go. She laughed, they were all momentarily stunned, even the kids on her own team. That didn't last for long though. In a matter of minutes, it was her against Jason Price and Gage Price. The golden boys.

"Hey Kitten, Hit me with your best shot," Gage said

She scowled at Gage, who walked up to the edge of the dividing line, teasing her. "Meow." She said. She threw a ball at Jason, who was edging towards her with one. 

"Alright, now I'll admit I enjoyed that little show but I'm the real opponent, dodge this if you can Kitty." Gage smirked.

The game went on for a while, and she was stunning everyone with her fierceness. They called it a tie,  but she didn't leave the game unnoticed. The nickname stuck. Everyone called her Kitten. It fit, with her large, green, cat-like eyes.

*Two years later*

"Grandma, I'm home." I said walking through the door. 

"Right Hun, now get your bony arse in here and help me with the Alfredo. Dam thing won't cook." Grandma said. Yes, this was my Grandmother. She wasn't very warm and fuzzy, but from the family I come from, you wouldn't expect it. She was one of those scary looking old ladies that had the wrinkled tattoos and looked like she might have once been a body builder. I love her, even if she was the one who named me Keylime. Never try explaining to your Grandma why naming a child after your favorite pie was a good thing.

"Gran, you have to actually cut the stove on. I'll be there in a sec." I called, rolling my eyes. I owe her a lot for saving me from my abusive parents, but It's me that acts like an adult around here. I dropped my stuff in the hall and ran to the kitchen before our house burnt down. Dinner was of crusty Chicken Alfredo and slightly burnt green beans. 

That night I dreamt of him again. Black hair fell into bright, golden eyes, framing a strong jaw and smaller nose. He didn't do much, just looked out at the sunset. Counting the days he told me. Counting the days till he came.