40

Taehyung was sure his fingers were bleeding from how long he was fiddling with them, scratching on his nails and biting them nervously. He did not dare to move a single inch, afraid to cause the inevitable to happen even faster. Fear was holding his hear tin its brutal clutch and Taehyung gulped.

Yoongi to his side was no better, staring into space while his long, pale fingers continued to grasp onto the silent earpiece. The two hadn't dared to interact, to have a decent conversation and they had simultaneously given up because holding up a conversation was from no use from how nervous they were.

The only question shared in between them was a silent glance down to the only thing connecting them to Seokjin and Jungkook. But still, there was nothing.

Taehyung was gnawing on his bottom lip as he wondered whether he should inform his Momma and brother what they were doing but he threw that idea away as soon as he had it. No, it was too dangerous. Too many people he cared for were already involved with this mess and Taehyung couldn't help but to feel guilty.

If it wasn't for him after all, none of this would've happened. His older brother wouldn't be out there, risking his life for Taehyung, their father would still be part of their family and Jungkook wouldn't have become infatuated with the blond beauty. Jungkook wouldn't even remember him...

But Taehyung shook his head, getting rid of these depressing thoughts. He had to remain calm, he had to. For his brother. Only for his brother yes, not for the same silver-haired man he hadn't stopped thinking about since that brief encounter back when they were kids...

No! Taehyung shouldn't think like that. They would return and then Jungkook was out of his life for good. It was better this way. Whatever fantasy Taehyung thought he could have as a future, it couldn't involve Jeon Jungkook, the King of Kings.

The young blond didn't know that the crush he had wished to see again, was the son of a psychotic monster, trained to behave exactly like his father.

Taehyung shuddered and pushed his legs closer to his body. Yoongi threw him a worried look but didn't dare to break the somehow calming but also nervous silence.

"They will come back", it was Taehyung's voice breaking the silence, a lone tone in the middle of the quiet room.

"They have to."

°°°

"This is it, then. The deal is fulfilled." Jungkook released his breath, chest heaving as he stared blindly at the screen. It was done. Taehyung's identity was hidden, his report erased from the deadly dove list. He was finally free.

And that meant Jungkook had to leave, for good.

It was too much for the silver-haired man, to lose the only one he had ever loved. The man turned sharply and without biding his goodbyes stormed out of the room, so no one could see the sudden heartbroken tears appearing in his eyes.

Eunwoo followed him shortly after, only throwing a glance into Seokjin's direction.

The other Mafia leader was about to follow when a voice called for his attention.

"Seokjin-ah, wait", his father called out for him. Seokjin stiffened but didn't turn around fully, only turning his head a bit to the side to indicate his father that he was listening to him. One last time before their ways would part, once and for all.

"I never wanted to be the antagonist in your story, son", the vice president said unhappily. Seokjin simply scoffed in reply yet the elder chose to ignore it.

"Can you tell your mother that I still think about her? And my sons? I always think about the possibilities about how our lives would've played out if I hadn't decided to be an asshole", he continued, hope in his voice. Seokjin barked out a laugh.