PART FOUR

Word count; 2,542

Valentina

Major Winters seemed to understand the situation more than I thought he would, not just with the resistance and my reason for being there, in that exact moment. He brought Teo and I inside, insisting we sat down and got given a drink. I held onto Teo's hand, sitting with him so his wrist rested on my thigh. My legs were crossed, my back straight. Liebgott stayed standing, Lew sauntering around the room to find a glass bottle of whiskey and helping himself to it. 

"They'll shoot us." Teo whispered into my ear. "What's stopping them?"

"Just wait." I put on a smile, recalling the hours my mother would make me practise my manners in tearooms; how everything must be correct otherwise I'd never find a husband.

"Liebgott." Winters beckoned, bringing him towards a table where he scanned across papers.

They thought I wouldn't hear them but I did; it seemed I understood more English than I was able to speak. Something about me - the size of my wrists - and something about Teo - how old was he? Joe replied a few reckons before being sent away to another soldier - a Corporal - in the corner of the room. The Corporal vanished and then, after a few minutes, returned with a torn loaf of bread and some tomatoes. 

"I would prefer we speak." I said to Winters, my courage having the better of me. "Yes, we do not have much food as we used to but if I do not talk to you, I fear my people's lives will soon be taken."

The Major was staring at me, an inquisitive glare. He glanced towards Liebgott who's eyes dropped and something was decided there and then.

"I must assure you, Miss, my men and I, we have no intention of killing anymore lives here today."

He expected me to reply and when I didn't he came closer, leaning against an armchair opposite the one I sat on.

"You had orders to speak to me." His lips lifted, a smile of warmth. "Well, here I am."

I told him the most I could, any words I couldn't find being left for Joe or Teo to translate. Somewhere, there was shame in what I told him. These were men, good men who fought to protect the lives this side of the world that we, on our own, had no chance of doing. But Siggers new that. Siggers knew Major Winters from when he was a Lieutenant and trained in southern England, shortly before they dropped into France on D-Day. Siggers knew he'd understand. Which he did, surprisingly. He'd come across members of the resistance from all across Europe, but none which partook in the same jobs we did.

"How many of there are you?"

"Eight." I answered. "Without children. Otherwise twelve."

"How old are they?"

"Three were born in the last two months. The other is four."

"Are they-"

"Yes."

Major Winters' stare had gone cold, as had Liebgott's, and my cheeks flushed, aware this whole conversation sounded bizarre and there was nothing stopping them from labelling me a whore and being done with me there and then. I had knew what Winters was going to question: are they fathered by the officers who once took position here? You see, that was the sacrifice we made.

"Some of us-" I gulped, finding a feeling in my throat which made me want to burst into tears.

"Not all of us gave ourselves to the officers." Teo finished my statement.

Winters' brows furrowed, still trying to comprehend the situation.

"Which is why the conduction of this operation must stay with those here." I said, almost pleading. "I cannot have my women be welcomed here only to be brandished or insulted."