PART TWENTY NINE

Word count; 2,571

Valentina

Alice held Monika in her arms tighter than ever before. They were by no means related but, since Monika's own mother passed, Alice was the one named to take care of her. She wouldn't stop bargaining with herself, though, for spending more time with Franziska and not noticing such a vital condition. Monika didn't understand any of it - she was getting embraced and that was all that mattered.

We were hurrying across the street, searching for the only man who could have any clue as to why Monika's fingers were so pale. And if he was unavailable, a surgeon lived a few blocks away; surely he would have an answer. Luckily, the sun hadn't even set yet and a few soldiers still wandered the streets.

I faced Alice, "Stay here."

"Where are you going?"

I glanced at the stairwell in front of us, where Eugene once bandaged my hand, "A medic should be here."

"Should be?!"

I scowled at her, "You are in distress, Alice. Just keep talking to Monika. I'll be back."

Without allowing her to respond, I sprinted up the stairs, skipping over two with every step. Reaching the next floor, I pivoted, recalling Martin once leading me through the same place.

"Valentina? That you, hun?"

To my right, through one of the doorframes, Luz was lying flat on the floor, his hand hovering over his eyes.

"George?" I squinted, observing all the other rooms and their lack of people, "Where is everyone?"

"Uh, swimming, I think." He dropped his palm onto his face. "I have such a big headache."

"It's an emergency."

His head rolled over. Recognising my tone, he stumbled upwards.

"I don't know, uh, I don't know where Doc Roe is. I think Spina should be around."

"It doesn't matter who. I need a doctor."

He rubbed the bridge of his nose, "Yeah, yeah, okay, we'll find someone. What's wrong?"

As we descended the stairwell, he gripped onto the walls. So much should've but I really should've let him stay.

"Is this the doctor?" Alice probed, still clutching onto Monika.

"He will help us find the doctor."

Luz's eyes widened at the sight of Monika, a smile filling his lips, "Who is this?"

"The emergency."

He blinked a couple times, "Right, right. This way, I think."

His legs wobbled slightly, so I insisted, "You can go sleep, George, just point us in the direction."

"No, no," He beamed, ruffling his hair, "Gene would never forgive me."

He took a moment to stretch before leading us further down the road. Every soldier he met, despite knowing them or not, he interrogated as to a medic's whereabouts, knowing that anyone would be better than no-one.

"Hey, Popeye." Luz acknowledged an approaching man, having exited a building only a couple metres away, "Seen Spina or Roe?"

"Oh Spina? He was at the Furnishers last time I saw him. He has a headache."