PART EIGHT

Word count; 2,670

Valentina

On the way down the stairs of Herr Dietrich's foyer, Winters re-emerged from his - previously Dietrich's - study, hands in his trouser pockets. For the last few hours we spoke through the organisation I worked with, how it ran and the like, and other specifics, as well as the surrounding area; shops, post offices, town halls. He was a lovely man to speak with, his tone always understanding and gentle. It was natural, not forced because of the current circumstances.

"Are you sure you don't need anything else?"

I nodded, "I am."

"It doesn't just have to be food or clothes. We are here to help."

"You have done more than enough." I smiled. "We are very grateful."

"Well, okay." He took a few paces forward. "Something I forgot to mention is that late last night, I heard a lot of the men discussing uh... some things I'd rather not say."

Cheeks reddening, I grinned, "I see."

"Nothing dreadful or insulting. Alas, they were told not to mock your job - apparantly they aren't smart enough to take into consideration how that order may extend elsewhere. You know how men are." His hands slid out from his pockets and crossed over his torso. "I say this as an apology, for I hope you and I to become friends on the premises of trust and truth, but to also inform you of their nature. I want to leave it to your discretion to carry on the message."

I tittered, "I understand, Major. Your friend, Mr Nixon already put Liebgott on guard for me. Eyes and ears. Be that as it may, I appreciate your counsel. I really do."

"Well, that's what I'm here for, as well as all the other things. Oh, and please, call me Dick. Or Richard, whatever you prefer."

Below us, somewhere under the stairs, a familiar voice drove closer, and the Major smiled back at me. 

"Liebgott." I said, examining down the stairs and its carpet.

He appeared around the corner of the banister, "Hey, doll, give me a second."

"Hey, Liebgott." Winters beckoned.

His head immediately lifted from his former task of searching for a lighter, "Yes, Sir?"

"She has a name, so why don't you use it."

Joe stared at him for a long time, glancing at me once, "Okay, Sir."

Winters thanked me once again, I thanked him, and he turned on his heels, back towards the study. I descended the stairs, finding Joe still unsuccessful in his search.

"I have always wondered why you soldiers call me that."

"Call you what?"

"Bird." I said, finding the words profound in my mouth. "Doll."

Joe smirked, "We're Americans."

"What do they mean?"

"It's affectionate. They don't mean anything." He became still, realising he may be acting rude. "You don't care, do you?"

I shook my head, "Even if I did, it must be hard to convince a whole company to change their vocabulary."

"Trust me, I have my ways." He laughed. "Anyway..."

"Anyway?"

He leant against the staircase railing with an elbow, "We have been invited to the pictures."