PART TWENTY SEVEN

I don't know how many chapters this story will go on for, considering LLT only ended with 35. Let's hope it's more <3

Word count; 2,679

Valentina

Another couple days passed by the time I was able to go outside again - previously, walking for longer than five minutes would have me sat down for ten. Clouds plagued the sky, the late morning drifting comfortably in. I nearly tripped over a rugged stone tile and, recognising it would be better to rest for a moment, sat on a wooden street bench. I'd managed to sneak away before anyone realised of my disappearance; I would've loved for Teo, Sascha or Emilia to escort me but they would've spent the whole time convincing me to go back to bed. In reality, that's probably what I should've done; gone home, tucked myself up, and recovered - like a certain medic had advised. But that medic was also the reason that I propelled myself out of that ancient house. The longer I stayed in bed, the longer I craved his touch. We hadn't seen each other and I detested it.

With the front door to Herr Dietrich's mansion closed, I followed the veranda to the back of the house. Only when I reached the rear and wandered inside - not a soul in sight - did the distant harmony of a gramophone swirl in the air. It was the same song Liebgott had sung the night at the Town Hall; All or Nothing At All by Frank Sinatra. I recalled Teo once mentioning how Herr Dietrich adored Sinatra, despite how he didn't know any English.

As I entered the main chamber, two voices collided with the song, the hoarseness interrupting the tune and staining it, drawing ears closed. Of course, it was none other than Nixon and Welsh. They danced together, bottles of booze in hand. Lewis spun around, eyes shining.

"Valentina! Come dance with us!"

To think these men were of high rank and, in some way or another, led men in combat.

"I am fine, thank you," I chuckled, aware they could barely hear me over the music.

"No, come on!" Nixon capered towards me, taking a hefty sip of his Vat-69. "Don't be sour."

"You wanted to show me something!" I yelled, but he acted like he couldn't hear. "Lewis!"

"Be nice, Nix, don't pester the lady." Welsh added dispassionately.

The Intelligence Officer rolled his eyes, pouring the rest of his whiskey into his mouth and planting it on a table nearby. He motioned towards the next room over.

"It is... nine in the morning, Lewis."

"And?" He smirked, pulling a suspender onto his shoulder.

"Is this common?"

"Well, it's a hobby." He said, his tone implying neither jest nor seriousness.

We began to walk up the stairs in the foyer, one of his hands dragging up the railing.

"One I enjoy very, very much."

I folded one arm over the other, "It looks enjoyable."

"Only for the first half hour. Then I'm as miserable as... well, I don't know." He winked at me. "Anyway, now you have interrupted me-"

"Dearest apologies,"

"-I can say how rude it was you didn't come sooner. I was expecting you to appear right on the spot."

When I didn't laugh, he halted.

"You're grand aren't you."

"Sorry," I rubbed the spot between my brows, not wanting to tell him the real reason for my vacant place. "I didn't sleep well."