PART SEVEN

More of a filler, really. I'm really trying to encourage Valentina and Eugene's relationship right now, as I have a habit of making my mc really good friends with someone who ISN'T the love interest. ANYWAy enjoy .

Word count; 2,083

Valentina

"Good morning." I said to Sascha as she appeared in the doorway, rubbing her eyes.

"Yeah, yeah." She dismissed. "Jolly days."

"Was it really that bad?"

I looked up from the newspaper - the last one I had bought, hoping to find something new - and found Emilia staring at me from across the table. Teo came over and placed a cup of coffee in front of me, and I gently brushed his forearm as he walked past.

"A lot of alcohol and men with dead ambitions does not mix well." I replied.

Emilia sat up, elbows on the table, "What do you mean?"

Young Emilia descended from a family of simplicity; a father who worked as an accountant and a mother who spent her days dawdling inside a cafe. The rest of us in the room had some experience with the military, whether with fathers, brothers, or the force of the war itself. She didn't know how most men enlisted with objectives, hoping to find some purpose, and ended up crushed, searching for some long lost goal to make up for the previous failure.

"I don't know how you do it." She sighed. "How you can speak with them."

"They are here to help us." I answered, brows furrowed. "It is them who drove the officers away."

"Them and the English, wherever they are." Sasha interjected.

"I haven't received word from Siggers since they arrived."

"Maybe Major Winters has contact with him."

"I will ask."

Emilia straightened her back, "You are going out again?"

"What else do you expect?" Sascha retorted. "The world isn't all sunshine and rainbows."

"That is not what I mean. Only, these men are strangers, should we not keep away from them?"

"Not when-"

"Quiet. Both of you." I ordered. "There is no need for conflict and silly arguments, not now."

"But-"

"Emilia." I put the newspaper down. "We must act friendly if we wish to remain allies. The last thing we need is an undue dispute because we did the very opposite of that. All right? Liebgott is taking me to Winters this morning because our work is not yet finished. There is nothing wrong with obeying that wish, is there? What we have done the past few years is a job, a job which does not come with univolved resolutions. In order to keep it that way, I must listen and show I am no threat to the Americans."

As if on cue, a fist banged on the front door. Teo, still over by the counter and kettle, checked through the window and turned to me.

"Your soldier." He said.

I reached a hand over to Emilia's, "There is nothing to fear."

I stood, patting down my skirts, and tucked the newspaper under my arm. I sipped the coffee Teo had made.

When I reached the end of the corridor, I whipped around, taken off guard by a hand wrapping around my bicep.

"Can you get me a pen?"