Chapter Six: Goodbye Slater

I make it back to Mystic Fall and get a good night's sleep before Elena calls me about the embarrassing night she had catching Aunt Jenna and Alaric

I make it back to Mystic Fall and get a good night's sleep before Elena calls me about the embarrassing night she had catching Aunt Jenna and Alaric. I get dressed and get a call from Damon telling me they are heading to Aunt Jenna's place, they have info from Katherine. I was tuned out most of the time my thoughts drifting back to Elijah and our bonding yesterday. I get pulled from my thoughts by Elena leaving the room. I look at the boys with a wide expression, "what did you guys do?" I ask and Damon playfully glares at me before turning away. I get up and walk out of the house, I get in my car and drive to the grill. Elena walks in and runs over to me, "Hey I and Rose are going and are gonna go talk with her friend Slater, wanna come with?" She asks me. I nod and pay my tab, "I'll follow you guys in my car." I tell her hopping in my driver's seat.

I get a nervous feeling as we park under an underground parking lot and head upstairs to Slater's apartment. I shiver with the feeling that someone is watching us. Rose pulls me from my thought by banging on Slater's door. "Slater? Slater, it's Rose. Open up!" She says we wait and there is no answer. Rose turns to Elena, "He's not home. Sorry." She says Elena looks at her. Causing me to roll my eyes and unlock the door and push it open. "After you ladies," I say, everyone walks in and I close the door behind us. Elena and Rose wander further into the apartment, "Slater?" Rose calls walking towards the kitchen her face falls. "I don't think he's gonna be much help." Rose comments, Elena and I walk over and see Slater on the ground with a stake through his chest.

I help Rose move his body to another room. "Rose go keep an eye on my sister, I want to see if I can figure out what happened to him," I tell her. She nods and leaves I turn my attention back to Slater and the stake. I place my hand on his back and grasp hold of the stake pulling it from his body. I get a vision of him doing this against his will, I gasp as I drop the stake and scoot away. I pant softly as I look at his body in horror, I get up slowly and stumble into the living room. "He was compelled to kill himself," I whisper to Rose while Elena talked to what I guessed to be Slater's girlfriend from his memories. I walk around the apartment taking in the little details here and there. I look out the window and I notice Elijah's reflection join mine. I turn around but he is nowhere to be seen. I swallow the lump in my throat and go to find Rose and Elena.

I was reading some of Slater's research when I hear Elena gasp I run over and see Damon. I look at him confused, Rose appears next to me, "I'm sorry Elena." She tells her I look confused. As Damon and Elena argue it hits me, "You brought me with you because you were gonna sacrifice yourself." I growl at her causing both Damon and Elena to look at me afraid. I stalk over to her, "Get out the door now before I pull you out by your hair." I tell her as I grab her shoulders. "No!" Elena shouts at me as she struggles to get out of my grip. I turn to her, "You are not getting yourself killed again. Stefan is not here to save you this time but I am." I tell her, she pulls herself from my grip and goes to slap me which surprisingly Damon catches. "Don't ever try that again." He tells her coldly dropping her fist and walking away leaving Elena stunned.

I can't even stand to look at Elena right now, Damon walks back in the room, "Time to go. Alice is soundly sleeping and won't remember a moment of this horribly stupid day." He says before the front door opens and three men walk in. I stand in front of Elena and Rose, Damon joins me and squeezes my hand gently. "We're here to meet the doppelganger." the man in the middle, Cody, says. Elena goes to step forward but, I push her back. I look at her with a stern stare as my face changes to match hers because of a spell I did while Damon was working on Annie. I turn back around and face Cody, "Thank you for coming." I tell him stepping forward. Elena attempts to step forward as well but, Damon holds her back. "There's nothing here for you," Damon says trying to stale. I hear a body fall I look back and I see Elijah, I can't help but, my face breaks out into a smile seeing him. Damon looks surprised and confused. "I killed you. You were dead." He says causing Elijah to smile. "For centuries now," Elijah tells him before he talks to Cody. I walk over to Damon dropping the spell. "It's okay, he's not here to hurt us," I tell him when Elijah rips out their hearts. Damon acts like he didn't hear me and goes into a protective stance. Elijah just leave, as I suspected he's honorable. "Let's go home," I say and everyone nods.

We get back home only to find out that in the time of Elena's suicide mission, Jeremy got attacked by Katherine, Bonnie nearly died again, and now Stefan is trapped in the tomb. I go home growling softly about Elena I climb up the stairs and stop at the top step caught off guard by Elijah standing there. "Ah, I've been waiting for you."

Word Count: 1005