Chapter 26: Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

I walk into the courtyard and raise an eyebrow as Hayley is munching on an array of fruit and other breakfast food when Klaus comes down the stairs to join us

I walk into the courtyard and raise an eyebrow as Hayley is munching on an array of fruit and other breakfast food when Klaus comes down the stairs to join us. "So, which restaurant's missing a compelled chef?" Hayley turns to ask us and I look at Klaus confused, "Did you?" I ask quietly and he shakes his head confused, "It's certainly a card I've played in the past, but I had no hand in this..." He says walking over to me as he gestures to the food on the table for emphasis. Hayley looks at us confused. "Hmm. Well, then, I guess we have Elijah to thank?" She asks right as Elijah returns to the compound and joins us in the courtyard, and looks confused when he hears our conversation and notices the breakfast spread in front of us. "This wasn't my doing..." He says and I look at the food wearily. "Then, where did this all come from?" I ask my anxiety slipping into my tone of voice. The silver lid on the platter suddenly begins to rattle, which startles Hayley and Elijah so much that they jump in fright for a moment. Klaus looks uneasy and we lift the platter, which releases two starlings that fly up toward the ceiling, causing the four of us to reflexively duck to avoid being hit. We all look puzzled and nervous. "What the hell was that?" Hayley asks I look at the platter and pick up the letter left behind opening it. 'Dinner, Your Home, 8 PM' it read simply. I look up at Klaus and Elijah, "An invitation from your mother." I tell them and they look at me uneasily. I watch as Klaus stares at the invitation while he stands on his balcony overlooking the French Quarter. He eventually turns to head back into his bedroom, where Hayley is laying flat on his bed as I stood with my arms crossed. "It is times like this I'm really glad I never knew my mother," Hayley says and I hum softly with a small smirk. "We have enough enemies here. And now, the war for our home is to be fought against my own family." Klaus says I walk over to him and squeeze his arm gently giving him a gentle stare. "Your wretched mother and her disciples tried to put a carving knife through our baby's heart. I will happily add to the body count." Hayley says and I smile at her along with Klaus as Elijah enters the room. "You will do no such thing. Esther's a master in the art of possession. We know whose body she currently inhabits. We must decipher her intentions before she finds a new host." He says and I roll my eyes with a gentle glare. "Well, her last invitation was an assassination attempt on all her children. I think we can assume her intentions are decidedly foul." I say in a cold calm tone. Elijah shrugs, "Well, then. We have," He checks his watch, "this afternoon to prepare for the worst." He says before disappearing. Hayley rolls her eyes, which makes Klaus smile. "The bloom is off the rose, I see." Klaus says taking my hand and we follow Elijah out of the room, and Hayley rolls her eyes in annoyance before flopping back onto the bed, "Shut up." Hayley mutters after us causing a light smirk to dance across my lips. 

I walk into the quarter my heart pounding in my chest and I play with the ring around my neck. I needed to find Kol as soon as possible. I tried to get in contact with Davina, but after the night at Ruessou's, I haven't heard anything from her. I bite my lip worriedly as the sky grows dark and dark. I have to get back to the compound for the dinner, but I desperately needed to talk to Kol. "Please please Kol," I mumble softly as I grip the necklace. I wait for a few minutes, but nothing happens. I feel a small tear makes its way down my cheek before heading back to the compound. I make my way back to my room before disappearing into my room. I take a shower so hot that it burned my skin as fast as it heals I let out a small groan of pain as I do so. I get out after a while and wrap a towel around my body. I step into my room where Elijah was setting down an outfit for me to wear for the dinner. "Thank you, Elijah," I say softly the blue has finally left my hair and it is back to its normal bright red. He turns and looks at me with a small smile, "You're welcome little sister." He tells me before leaving. I get changed into my outfit and put on some light makeup before heading down the stairs as I do I hear the conversation going on. "What an aromatic bordot." Finn's voice says echoing through the halls. "Well, it was a challenge to find a good pairing. What wine goes well with treachery?" Klaus says in a tight tone. "Don't pout, brother. Tonight is meant to be a happy occasion!" Finn tells him as I make it into the room I catch Finn whispering something in one of the servers' ears, which makes Klaus suspicious. "What exactly are we celebrating?" Elijah asks as I wait behind a pillar. "Why, my return, of course! Remember, I spent nine hundred years... right?... lying daggered in a box. I'm rather enjoying this new body. Strolling about your lovely city that, uh, you've made your home. But, do tell me-- what'd I miss? Regale me with your contributions to society! Medicine? Philosophy? Art?" Finn asks and I could Tell Klaus was getting pissed. "Or, have you two merely cut a path of destruction across time?" Finn says I could hear the anger in his voice. "The last time we met, you were helping our mother try to annihilate the lot of us! Let's not throw stones in glass houses." Klaus tells him. I hear the clinking of plates and raise an eyebrow confused. "Are we expecting another guest?" Elijah asks Finn and I could hear the smile in Finn's voice. "Mother will sit at the head. And, as for the seat across from me, that's reserved for another of our clan. Care to wager an educated guess? How about a paranoid one?" Finn asks pointedly to Klaus I decided now would be the best time to make my presence known.

 Care to wager an educated guess? How about a paranoid one?" Finn asks pointedly to Klaus I decided now would be the best time to make my presence known

I walk into the room with a gentle smile, "Hello everyone, I'm sorry I am late." I say. Finn looks at me and is so startled by my presence he looks like a fish with bug eyes. "Nyx." He mutters and I smile lightly, "Hello Finn, it's lovely to see you on better circumstances." I tell him before looking at the new plate to make six place settings. "Oh did I miss something is someone else coming for dinner?" I ask in a kind tone. Finn nods his head still shocked, "Um yes, It's reserved for another of our clan. I was just asking Klaus who he thought it was." Klaus gives a small smirk, "Well, there's no way Kol would listen to anything other than his ego. Especially not when Nyx has been locked up in here all nice and pretty stewing in her grief." He says causing me to look away the pain was still there. Finn stands up and walks to my side crouching in front of me to take my chin in his hand. "And yet, our mother has made such a compelling argument that even he, the wildest of us Mikaelsons, has seen the error of his ways and accepted his new form. She is able to give Kol a life with Nyx that was never thought before possible. The chance to grow old together to have children of their own." Finn tells us while keeping eye contact with me.

Word Count: 1387