1. The Woods

Baze

***

I ignored the nasty glare on the older woman's face and continued filling out her money order on the computer screen. There's only 30 minutes before closing, I can't allow her to stress me out over the $1 fee that was added for me to process her request for a money order of $2000.

"Why am I being charged $1 extra?" Her gray eyes narrowed on me, the crows feet surrounding them intensified the nastiness of her glare.

"Store policy, ma'am," I smiled politely.

She didn't return.

After handing her the receipt, I mentally cursed myself for giving up my day off to cover for my coworker Sara. I'm not supposed to be here today, but I couldn't turn her plea down as she wanted to celebrate her mother's 50th birthday with her. A celebration I wasn't able to have with my own mom and dad since they passed away a year ago.

My parents, Annika and Rodrigo, passed away from a hit and run. The impact was so ferocious that their car instantly lit up in flames with them inside, the other driver nowhere to be found. The case had gone cold as there was no trace of the person who ran into them. Their vehicle wasn't found at the scene either.

My sad thoughts were interrupted when I noticed a few guys I had never seen before come into the store. The entrance is on the farther side of the customer service desk where I'm currently standing. I would always see familiar faces and even some people who attended the same college as me.

These guys... I've never seen them before.

I first noticed the lack of a jacket on most of them that'd help fight the cold September air of Alberta, especially the on and off storm going on. It was nearing 10 pm, for sure it's still really cold if not colder and all 4 guys sauntered in without a care in the world for the temperature outside.

One of the guys that looked around my age caught my attention. All I could do was stare.

The guy's muscular arms were exposed in the black t-shirt he wore, casually paired with dark jeans and snow boots. He stood out to me because of the sandy blonde hair on his head that curled around his ears and nape of his neck, the other men he came in with had dark hair. The way his hair is styled over his forehead prevented me from getting a good look at his face, but the more I stared, the more I was able to make out his features.

The guy's skin is tan, almost taking on a bronze shade like mine. His movements were relaxed, the same emotion that seemingly swept over me the more I gazed at him.

The strong attraction I had for this guy was so foreign that describing it would be nearly impossible. All I could do was admire him from afar.

I heard a male voice shout the name 'Alex' and turned my head to see where it came from.

The man who shouted was waving a hand for the guy I was admiring to join him and the others he came in with. I figured that must be his name and looked back towards him, my face heating up when I found out that he already had his eyes on me.

There was an intense stare to his gaze. The way he had his relaxed almond shaped, hazel green eyes on me made it hard for me to turn away. I practically had to force myself as I still have some work to do.