35. Dental Floss

Baze

***

I was able to sketch the guy's face who looked saddened to see his corpse. Cole was the one to bring it in the station discreetly as no one questioned his presence before. He didn't stand out like Piero, Alyx and Sebastian would've with them all being over 6'. Cole has hazel brown eyes that nearly looked the same color as my amber ones, his chocolate brown hair hung over them in waves with olive skin. He blended in well when he wanted to.

That was 2 weeks ago. It was the longest 2 weeks of my life! No one came to identify the body, my sketch for some reason wasn't broadcasted over the news to help and after 4 days the area they had marked off in the woods for evidence was now unmarked and forgotten. It was really sad that the man I saw wasn't able to get the justice he deserves because the police didn't continue allowing the public to get in on the investigation.

Cole would every now and then make his way in the policemen circles and get more information out of them. Sebastian suggested he do it less and less because someone clearly wanted the police to be aware of the area so close to the pack and it was becoming a risk for exposure.

That day when Cole came back to the mansion, he showed everyone the photos he took including me. The police were aware of the car accident and my pregnancy, they just assumed the accident ended my life and the baby's. The family that caused it had no previous ties to my existence so they were only fined.

The police did have photos of old friends from high school, Allie and even some of my coworkers at my old job on their board as well...

"They wanted to know who the baby's father could've been and because I'm in their words notoriously single, they couldn't place a guy... not even an assualt," I muttered. My old friends, John, Ophelia, Cassie and James would eventually find out that I was lying about Allie going away for school when they asked about her absence in our larger friend group and in my life.

I got emotional as I read the sticky notes they had placed around photos of me and others alongside the places of the occurence.

"I think that's enough information for today," My mate gently grabbed Cole's phone from me and handed it back to him when he noticed my face.

"I'm sorry," Cole stuttered out. I immediately shook my head in disagreement.

"It's not your fault, none of it." Sighing, I said, "I'd just have to let Allie know that she needs to lay low as they believe she's a suspect in my missing case when they found out that she wasn't going to school in California... One of the many lies I had to tell our friends."

"Were you not aware of her being a hunter?"

Removing my gaze from the floor to Tyler, I shook my head. "She explained to me why she left the way she did. Once our parents passed away they came looking for her, apparently Rodrigo used to be on the council and that's why he trained us for all those years."

"Wait, the hunters council?" Veronica interrupted with urgency and confusion. I silently nodded before she asked, "How did you not know of our existence? The council knows about us all."

"I was never told the same stories Allie was told as a kid. My childhood memories are foggy and it makes sense given that they aren't my real parents." The bitterness was evident in my voice even when I didn't want it to be.