7. Tomorrow Isn't Promised

Alyxzander

***

This morning, if you would've told me that my dad's cold hand would be the last thing I felt once the clock struck midnight, I wouldn't have believed you. Hearing Roxy scream when her and Jaxon went to go check on him downstairs made me think another Lycan had attacked. Nothing in this world seemed to be worse than that and yet, my assumption was proven wrong when I made my way down from the library with Sebastian, Baze and Aliyah hot on my heels.

My hands covered my face, the imagine of him lying lifeless on the infirmary bed struck me like cold water. When he died, he shifted back to his human form that told us just how bad his wound really was. His organs had failed, the torn arteries no longer able to withstand the venom from the Lycans bite no matter how well Alaric and Briana flushed his wound.

"We did all that we could do," Jaxon whispered. I wiped the tears off my face and just stared at the ground, still in shock. We tried to resuscitate him with CPR.

His heart was free of motion, his body already dropped in temperature.

I turned my head to look at Jaxon, my chest tightened as I realized he's truly the only family I have left by blood. It was dark out in the woods, but we could see Alaric and a few of our pack members from a distance. Dean and Jeanie were in their wolf forms, watching the SUV the vampires arrived in get farther and farther.

After what happened, I didn't care to finish the conversation that took place in the library. Whether Sebastian and the others understood why or not didn't matter to me either as I wanted to grieve the loss of my dad in peace with my little brother.

"I wish a slow painful death could be replayed over and over onto the Lycan that did this to him."

Alaric heard Jaxon's comment and looked our way with sadness in his eyes.

I leaned forward with my elbows on my knees, "Do you want to know what we found out just before Roxy screamed?"

"What?"

"Remember the stories dad would tell us about 'The Alpha That Gone Bad'?" When I heard Jaxon mumble an "mhmm", I continued. "Turns out it was all true. Down to the eating people and trying to harm the current Alpha that took his place."

"Wait what?" Jaxon gripped my shoulder in disbelief.

The more I spoke, the angrier I got. "Apparently his copy cat has been running with the current Lycans that are terrorizing now. We killed ten today, but there are still plenty of them still out there according to Aliyah."

With everything that's going on I can't lose focus. I'm not sure what's next for us all, but whatever it is, we all need to be prepared for it.

"You need to tell Baze."

"What?"

"I found my mate, the warm feelings, the intensity of it all is something you can't ignore. I Want to always be around them, too. I've felt it all and still do with Roxy." He looked me deep in the eyes, "I'm sure Baze has the same feelings despite her being human."

I ran a hand through my hair, "Her freaking out isn't how I want this night to end."

"With what seems like everyone dropping like flies around us, you should want to tell her the truth just in case." Jaxon looked up at the sky, "You never know if tomorrow is promised."