015.

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

The last thing Anna could remember before she closed her eyes, was her eyes drilled to Polly's. She could remember the hug the woman had given her, the hug which had felt so odd to her. Anna didn't like how she felt about it ― she felt horrible for not retuning those emotional feelings Polly had. 

It was a strange place she was in. 

Like she was awake with her mind but not with her body ― it sort of felt like the time she had been sick with Spring Fever. She could hear separate disoriented voices coming from different angles and sides. She recognized one of the voices belonging to Imogen who sounded very concerned. Another voice was low, Anna knew it was Thomas'. 

Then she heard Polly and her heart skipped a beat. 

"How did this happen?" Polly wondered out loud.

She was sitting on a chair near the bed Anna was laying on. She was looking at her daughter, fearing for the girl's health.

"Anna's health has had its ups and downs," explained Imogen as calmly as she could. "Spring Fever did a number on her. And honestly Mrs Gray, a person does faint from less than finding out their biological family is all well and alive."

"Well of course I understand that, and her. I'm not exactly jumping with joy here either," sighed Polly and buried her face to her palms. "I mean I'm so thrilled she's here but this is all very confusing. I-I don't know what to do."

Imogen nodded. "I'm aware. But I think that is something to worry about once Anna wakes up. Perhaps it is something she should have a word on."

"Yes," agreed Polly, her face still hidden. 

Thomas was leaning against a wall near by the windows. He didn't like hospitals, not at all. He has hated them ever since he was a child and now even more after Grace's death. 

In the mist of everything that has happened over the  past few days, Thomas has wondered one thing. He didn't know why Anna was with Imogen.

"Lady Bernard," said Thomas and Imogen turned to look at the Shelby man. "May I ask you something?"

Imogen arched her brow. "I don't see why not."

"Why are you with Anna? I mean I heard that she's your ward. You found her and took her in," Thomas wondered.

Polly lifted her face from her hands ― she was curious to hear the reason too. 

Two years ago, Imogen Bernard and her friend of forty something years had decided to take time off from the London society and took a ferry all the way to Australia. The travels had been long and taken weeks if not months but Imogen has always wanted to see Australia for some reason.