009.

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

Every single time Anna has seen Polly Gray, a weird feeling has taken over her. Like she's in a dream, or a memory. She couldn't tell why she felt like this but it annoyed her ― like the nightmare she had some days ago. Then Anna thought about her daydream she had just after arriving to Birmingham. The daydream with the woman and two children, a girl and a boy. 

Anna closed her eyes and shook her head, trying to get rid of her thoughts and focus in the present. She glanced to her right, realizing that Isiah was still with her. 

"What?" Anna asked when she noticed how Isiah was staring at her. 

Isiah shrugged. "Nothing. You just kind of disappeared."

"Disappeared?" Anna frowned at Isiah's words. "What do you mean?"

"Nothing, really. It's just that I've been saying your name for the past few minutes and you didn't react. You were staring at someone," he explained. 

Anna sighed. "I do that. I get lost in my head, don't take it personally."

"Okay. Who were you looking at?"

"No one special," said Anna. "Just got distracted."

Isiah frowned. "All right then."

"Y-you don't need to keep me company anymore. I'm sure I'll find Grace soon enough," she said.

Isiah arched his brow.

 "Are you sure?"

"Yes. You really don't need to babysit me. I will be fine," Anna said with more confidence in her voice.

"Okay. Well, if you need anything just go and stand by a corner and I will come to your rescue," Isiah grimaced.

Anna chuckled softly. "I don't need anyone to come to my rescue, but thank you."

With that, Isiah left but with a feeling of warmth traveling across his whole body. He thought the Bernard girl was interesting, to say the least. He thought she was mysterious and has a story he would like to hear. But she was not like the girls he often finds himself with ― she was too nice and proper. Nothing like the girls he knew. 

When Anna was left alone, she turned to look at Polly's direction again but her sight was blocked Father Hughes who was suddenly standing right in front of her. 

"Father Hughes," sighed Anna.

"Miss Bernard, I'm sorry to bother you again but are you sure we haven't met before?" Father Hughes asked.

Anna was surprised by this question ― especially since she had told him no already. 

"I'm quite sure, Father Hughes. I've never even been to Birmingham before," explained Anna. "Now if you'll excuse me..."