037.

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

Lesser things than loosing your family and facing the noose can easily make someone loose your mind and it seemed that Polly Gray was not an exception. She's always thought of herself as a strong person who can take in a lot ― she has suffered a lot in her life. But the prison did a number on her. 

She would spend her days muttering and mumbling to herself. Nothing she said made any sense and the realization that she will never see her children just made things even worse. Some other inmates thought the lady with dark eyes and hair has gone mad ― not that anybody could blame her. 

The feeling of the hanging robe around her neck was going to haunt Polly forever. She could feel how the cold and damped robe was wrapped around her delegate neck. The thought of her son facing the same faith ― perhaps even at the same time ― made her sick to her stomach. The thought of him chocking until he stops kicking his feet and takes his last breath made her heart ache.

And her Anna...

Anna's name and face were the last things she thought of when she said her last prayer. Then the miracle happened and a man Polly has never seen before stopped the execution. He had papers in his hands and when he spoke the words released from any charges, Polly thought she was dreaming.

But the robe was taken from her neck and then her legs grew weak. She fell on her knees, her head hanging low as sobs escaped her lips.

"M-my son..." she hiccuped and looked up at the man she thought of being her guardian angel at that moment. "My son and nephews, are they..."

"All of you, you're cleared of any charges," said the man and kneeled next to Polly. "You're free to go."

Polly couldn't believe those words. She asked him to repeat them once more just to make sure she wasn't dreaming or being delusional. 

"So Thomas did it," whispered Polly. "He did got us out."

"Thomas who? I was never informed of a man named Thomas," said the man as he helped the still shaking Polly up from the cold floor. "These orders came from London."

At first Polly was confused, unsure who has helped her and the whole family. She didn't know too many people from London ― definitely not the kind who has this much power. Her mind was too busy and shocked to think anymore so she turned to look at the man.

"I-I don't understand..." she said.

The man gave Polly the paper that had saved her life.

"Sir Anthony is a very powerful man in London. He managed to do this with some help. The Brighton family vouched and so did Imogen Bernard," the man explained while Polly read the paper, her eyes growing wider and wider.