027.

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

Anna smiled from ear to ear when she saw Imogen Bernard arriving to the Grace Shelby Institution. Anna has always liked Imogen ― except the first few months when she was trying to teach Anna ladylike manners which Anna found stupid and ridiculous at first ― and now for the past months, she has missed Imogen more than she ever thought she would.

She didn't know how Imogen felt though but the way her eyes lit up like a child's would when receiving a gift, Anna knew she's been missed in London. Imogen felt smaller when Anna hugged her. Much more fragile but otherwise she was the same. 

"I've missed you," sighed Anna, her chin resting on Imogen's shoulder. "I really have."

"London's been a bore without you," Imogen chuckled softly.

Anna grinned, pulling away from the hug. 

"I can't believe that I'm saying this but I actually miss those shallow parties and obnoxious people of the society there," admitted Anna.

"Now that is something I thought I would never hear," said Imogen, her hand resting on Anna's cheek. "But you've been doing well here?"

Anna wasn't quite sure. Things were good between her and her mother now although Polly was still very protective and perhaps a little too paranoid but Anna couldn't possibly blame her for that. Then there was Isiah and though she still hasn't said a word to him about the kiss, she did find herself liking Isiah perhaps more than a friend should. 

"Yes," said Anna, deciding not to burden Imogen with anything. 

To make sure things weren't going to be awkward, Anna had decided to meet Imogen by the front doors of the Grace Shelby Institution instead of in front of everyone, in front of Polly. Though Polly has said to Anna that she's more than welcome to have Imogen in her life, Anna has always seen a certain expression of sadness in her mother's eyes whenever Imogen is brought up in a conversation. 

Linking her arm with Imogen's, the two headed towards the crowds, towards the main event. 

There was a lot of people there, all congratulating Thomas for his success though he didn't look too happy ― then again he rarely smiles. Anna spotted her other cousins as well, and their off-springs. She was actually quite surprised to see how big the Shelby family actually was and looking at Arthur's wife and Finn's wife, it looked like the family was about to grow even more.

"It's an orphanage," said Anna quietly. "Thomas built an orphanage..."

She knew it but up until now, she hasn't really thought about it. It was an amazing thing Thomas has done but for some reason Anna felt a little uncomfortable when looking at the orphans who were there. She could see herself in so many of them. Their tiny, skinny faces pale and scared eyes, braided hair and anxious movements.