013.

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

Anna couldn't come up with a single thing why Thomas wanted to talk to her. She sat down on a chair he pointed at and so did Imogen, who was equally as confused as Anna was. Isiah was there too although he stayed in the far corner of the room, out of Thomas' radar. 

Thomas didn't sit down but took out a cigarette and lit it. He inhaled it a few times before even looking at Anna. He seemed nervous, that much Anna could tell but she didn't know why he was being so nervous.

The atmosphere in the room was almost unbearable. Imogen was impatient, Anna was feeling all sorts of things, Thomas was nervous and still grief stricken by his wife's dead and Isiah looked like he wanted to be anywhere else than where he was. 

"What is it?" Anna asked once the silence in the room was too much to take.

"Where are you from Miss Bernard?" Thomas asked, completely ignoring Anna's question.

Anna frowned. "I-I'm from Stafford."

"You don't seem too sure about that," observed Thomas. "Are you sure?"

"Yes I'm sure," Anna said although that was a lie. 

Thomas narrowed his eyes. "I don't believe you."

"You don't need to believe me. Whatever this is, I don't want to be any part of it," said Anna and stood up. "I'm sorry Mr Shelby, but I'm afraid I have to go."

Anna turned towards the door and so did Imogen but Isiah stopped her by stepping in front of the door. A heavy sigh escaped from Anna's lips as she looked at Isiah, her big brown eyes begging him to let her go. Isiah didn't know Anna that well but he could tell that she wanted nothing more than to leave Thomas' office. He couldn't let that happen though, not until the truth.

"Just hear him out. Please, this is important and not just for us but for you too," said Isiah. 

"Why?" Asked Anna.

Isiah sighed. "Just please listen."

Anna didn't want to stay but there was something about the way Isiah spoke to her. Her brain told her to leave but her heart, it told her to stay. She sighed heavily and nodded.

"Fine," she said and turned to look at Thomas. "You better make this quick."

She sat back on the chair and so did Imogen who was less than pleased with the way Isiah and Thomas were treating her and Anna. 

"Do you have a birthmark?" Thomas asked.

"Yes," said Anna. "But how does that matter?"

Thomas sighed and sat down. He placed his hands on his table in front of him, tapping his fingertips against the oaky table.