019.

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

Anna found was nervous. It wasn't a new feeling but it felt different this time. She was going to meet her cousins, officially that is. She has met them before but as Anna Bernard ― a ward of Imogen Bernard and not as their cousin. There were many cousins and they all had families of their own too ― all but Finn who was just a little younger than Anna herself.

She was trying to do something with her hair but wasn't sure what. She has never managed to do her hair well and nobody ever taught Anna how to handle her curls.

"Are you ready soon, dear?" Polly knocked on Anna's door.

After Anna's latest panic attack, Polly's been hovering over her like a crazy person. Anna thought it was sweet but every now and then she feels a bit trapped by the constant helicopter parenting. She knew it was not Polly's fault or that at least she couldn't help it although Anna did wish for some more privacy.

"I have to deal with my hair first," explained Anna.

"O-okay well just let me know if I can help," Polly said.

Polly's suggestion was more like a request. She wanted to do her daughter's hair and although Anna could not see her, she could hear the motherly need in Polly's voice.

"Well I don't know how to do my hair so maybe..."

The door opened immediately and Polly looked happier than ever. She held a bright smile across her face, hands clasped together right under her chin.

"Let me help you," she said and rushed to Anna.

Anna flashed a small smile at Polly's enthusiasm.

"I had hard time managing my hair before I learned," explained Polly, taking a hairbrush from Anna's vanity.

"Really?" Asked Anna and Polly nodded.

"Oh yes. Then I finally learned," she said. "Has anyone taught you?"

Anna shook her head. "No one ever bothered. They said I was difficult enough."

Polly's smile faltered for a second by the thought of people mistreating her daughter. It was a grisly thought that made angry. It made her want to hurt those people.

"Didn't Imogen taught you?" Polly wondered.

"She tried but it never worked. Some of the maids knew how to though but most of the time they managed to do it by luck," said Anna.

"Well I'm here to teach you," sighed Polly while brushing Anna's hair. "Now do you want your hair up or down?"

Anna shrugged. "I don't know."