032.

══════ • ❀ • ══════

══════ • ❀ • ══════

Her eyes were so heavy that opening them hurt. For a second there Anna thought she had gone blind as her vision was so blurry that she couldn't tell where she was. But second by second her vision became more clear and soon she realized she was in her own bedroom at her mother's house. She quickly sat up, feeling her head throbbing like it was going to fall off.

She sat there for a moment, wondering how she had ended up in her own home without remembering it ― she could hardly remember anything from the day before. Then she heard someone's soft breathing coming from the other side of the room and Isiah was there, curled up in an armchair in a uncomfortable angle.

"Isiah," she said, surprised by the sound of her own voice.

Her voice didn't sound like hers ― everything around her was strange to her at the moment. She couldn't figure out why immediately but as seconds went by, she realized the absence of her mother. She realized why her eyes hurt ― she had cried the entire night and screamed at Thomas for betraying the family.

"Isiah," Anna said again but much louder to wake him up.

The poor guy fell off the armchair, startled by the sudden voice in the silence. He rubbed the back of his head which he had just hit on the floor.

"Oh shit I'm sorry," said Anna, stumbling out of her bed.

"It's fine," said Isiah and flashed Anna that smile which made her weak in the knees. "Don't worry about it."

Anna approached Isiah, ready to help him but he got up before she reached him. He didn't say a word but waited for Anna to speak. The last time Anna and Isiah had talked was hours ago but Anna had been so distraught by her family's ― by her mother's ― imprisonment that nothing she had said made any sense.

Isiah had been the one who brought Anna home though Thomas did offer ― Anna had thrown her shoe at him. 

"It wasn't a dream, was it?" Anna whispered when reading the sad look on Isiah's face. "They are gone."

"They are not gone just..." Isiah tried to come up with the right words. "We will get them back."

Anna shook her head, her eyes stinging with new tears. 

"They are charged with murder," she said quietly and her voice shook with every word. "They will hang... oh my god they will hang..."

"They won't," said Isiah, grabbing Anna's hands to stop them from trembling. 

"I don't believe there's nothing we can do," whispered Anna. "I mean there's no way Thomas is actually going to let his brothers die or Polly but I just... I find it very difficult to trust him now and wait for him to do something."