Chapter 4

If you told me this morning that today I would be attacked by monsters and go to a camp, then have the best day ever, I would have glared at you and told you to go away. Now, I'm extremely happy, more than I can ever remember being. I've also made four great friends.

We walk around camp, Annabeth telling me about the buildings. I soon figure out that she's an architect and designed most of the new buildings. Once I know what and where everything is we walk down to the lake.

Willow and Herbert say that they don't want sand in their hooves, so they walk toward the woods together, hand in hand.

"I didn't bring anything with me, so what will I wear?" I ask. "Oh! We just got this cool new backpack in the camp store that will give you anything you need, within reason." Explains Annabeth. She pulls Percy toward the camp store which leaves me and Nico at the shore of the lake.

I stand beside him and look out across the lake like he is. "How does shadow travel work?" I ask. "Curious Athena kids." He grumbles. He says a few other things that I can't make out, but he finally answers my question. "It's a power from my dad. As long as there's shadows, I can enter them and exit anywhere else that there's a shadow." Wow. Mind = Blown.

He hits me with his own question,"Why do you love swimming so much?" My parents must have explained about me and swimming. If I choose, this can be a deep answer. Some weird emotion is pulling me to trust him with the whole truth. "I've always loved water. My older sister drowned when I was 10. I didn't want to be scared of the water because of that, so I decided to love the water and embrace it." My voice had quieted to a little above a whisper.

"My sister died when I was 10, like you. She was killed on a quest, to save Annabeth and Artemis. I didn't handle it very well, in fact it made me a outcast for a while. I tried to bring her back from the dead, but I brought back Hazel instead, my half sister." We both stare at each other for a minute, surprised that we both opened up. I'm sure Nico, secretive, dark, son of Hades, rarely tells that story.

The conch horn interrupts my thoughts. We walk in silence to the dinner pavilion.

Percy runs up to us just before we step into the pavilion. "Guys, you might want to watch-" Right then I hit a trip wire and we get covered in whipped cream. I gasp then start laughing. "- out because someone set a trap." I finish Percy's sentence for him.

"Stolls. I'll get them." Nico growls. "Where are they?" I ask. Percy points to a pair of twins that are laughing their heads off. Hermes kids by the looks of it. The tree of us stand up, all drawing weapons. I walk forward, Percy and Nico on either side. "Do the people here like a show?" I whisper/ ask Percy. He grins, "Yep."

I turn to the Stoll brothers and put on my most threatening look. "Do you want the new girl against you on her first day here?" I ask, holding my sword in their faces. They shake their heads in unison, then bust out laughing again. I roll my eyes, I'll have to get them back later. While I'm walking away I hear one of them say, "She's hot even when she's covered in whipped cream." I shoot them a glare, letting them know I heard, and step out of the pavilion to get some whipped cream off.

Once I'm done I'd say that I just look wet, not covered in sugary leftovers. Chiron hits his hoof on the marble floor which brings everyone to attention.

"We have a new camper. Her name is Ames." I stand awkwardly in the middle, not knowing where to sit. "She is-" Chiron is cut off by gasps from the campers. They're all starring at a blue glow above my head. I look up to see a blue trident hovering above my head. Definitely Poseiden's. "A daughter of Poseidon." Chiron finishes his sentence in a strangled voice.

The pavilion erupts into speech. I sit down next to Percy. He stares at me, "How..." I shrug, but realize that this might not be something to shrug about. I see Chiron's troubled expression and see that Percy is the only other child of Posiden.

As I eat I examine the other tables of campers. There are way more tables than just for the 12 major gods, so I guess minor gods are included. This life is going to be crazy.

-----------------------------

After dinner, Percy shows me his cabin, well, our cabin now. There's several unused bunks. Percy's is the bottom closest to the door, so I take the bottom opposite. I drop my new backpack and collapse on the bed in exhaustion.

"I can't believe I have a sister," Percy says in wonder. I turn my head and grin at him, "I never thought I'd have a brother."

We hear a knock on the door. Percy gets it and I stand to see Annabeth. "Hi, Percy. Hey, Ames," She says with a smile. She and Percy have a whispered conversation. I turn and start getting things out of my bag. The next time I glance their way, they're kissing. I turn back quickly.

It doesn't bother me, but I have to admit that I'm jealous, not of Annabeth that she has Percy, just that they're together. I haven't wanted a boyfriend really until high school. Guys flirt with me a lot, to be honest, but I've never really liked anyone.

Now that I'm 17, I think I really do want a boyfriend and I feel like I'll find him here. "Night, Ames," Says Annabeth as she leaves. "Night," I yawn as I fall back onto the bed. I don't even bother to change as a fall asleep. This was the best day ever.

A/N- Long chapter, right? Again I don't own Rick's characters or setting. I think I've been spelling some things wrong, like the greek words and stuff. Sorry about that. Part of it's autocorrect and part of it is that it's hard to spell stuff like that right. Anyway, for those of you who want the romancy stuff- it's about to get interesting.