Chapter 11

We sit on the bottom of the lake just starring at each other for a minute until I tackle Nico in a hug.

"I can't believe you did that!" I yell into his chest where my face happened to end up when I hugged him. He chuckles, the sound deeper and louder with my ear right there.

I suddenly realize what I'm doing and pull back from the hug, thousands of questions swirling in my head.

"I thought you didn't like physical contact," I say outright.

He looks away into the lake and sighs, "It feels different from you, like I don't mind it."

"If you say so!" I say and laugh, jumping back into a hug.

He holds me for a long time, my brain going a million miles an hour, but all of it wonderful thoughts.

"Hey Ames?" Nico says quietly.

"Yeah?" I ask in a daze.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"You just did," I reply, laughing a little bit.

He pauses for a minute, thinking about it. "Can I ask you two questions?"

"One left. Fire away."

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

My breath hitches in my throat and there is silence for a long time. I sit up and stare into his pleading eyes.

Slowly, a grin spreads across my face. "Yeah."

Nico grins too, but soon bursts out laughing. "It's so funny. You're not like any other girls. You didn't gasp or cry or kiss me or scream or anything else. You just answered 'Yeah.'" I laugh along with him and am definitely sure I made the right choice.

------------------------------

Somehow, we heard the conch from underwater and Nico shadow traveled us out of the water. We appeared out of the shadow of the column, making several Ares kids jump and raise their weapons. Once they realize who we are they relax.

Nico and I look at each other and laugh at their reactions. We didn't want Aphrodite girls to swarm us, so we don't make contact as we walk to our tables. I sit down next to Percy after making my sacrifice to dad and start eating, wondering when his questions will come.

"So... what were you and Nico doing?" Percy asks about halfway through dinner.

"We were umm, swimming?" It comes out as more of a question than an answer. I smile at the thought of Nico's dislike of water who would never go swimming by free will.

Percy grins, "I'm pretty sure you weren't swimming."

I look at him, blushing, "Don't jump to conclusions with your dirty mind. We're officially together, don't tell the Aphrodite girls."

Percy's grin somehow gets wider as he pulls me into a side hug from our position at the table. "I always hoped Nico would find someone and I'm very glad it's you."

I smile, so glad I finally got an older brother. I glance over at Nico and he's smiling at me, obviously knowing what I told Percy. I blow him a kiss without Percy seeing and quickly turn away, filling my mouth with pizza and hiding a laugh at his expression.

At the end of dinner we all go to the campfire and sing songs. My happiness helps the bright orange glow of the fire, especially because I'm sitting between Percy and Nico, two of the bravest guys I know. I wish I'd gotten this life a long time ago, but very glad I have it now.