Chapter 18

I swam this morning for a while, no, I swam for hours. I even skipped breakfast because I didn't want to get out of the water. I hear the conch horn for lunch and climb out of the water. I dry off, throwing on a t-shirt and shorts then quickly pulling my hair into a messy bun.

Goggles around my neck and swim cap tucked into the waistband of my shorts, I sprint toward the pavilion. I give as little offering to Poseidon as I dare. Surely he'd understand how hungry I am after that swim.

I'm halfway through my plate of pasta before Percy sits down. "Well you were hungry," he notes. I nod, mouth full of food.

About halfway though lunch Chiron bangs his hoof on the marble floor getting our attention. "Asher, Sam, and Brittney have just gotten back, successfully, from their quest," he announces. The pavilion erupts into cheers and the three campers step up next to Chiron.

The Ares campers surround them, so I guess they're Ares kids. "I think those kids are a year younger than you," Percy informs me, "Watch out for Asher, the leader. He's cocky as Hades and I'm sure he's even worse after the quest. Really big ego."

I nod, mouth still full of food. What? You thought I'd stop stuffing my face long enough to clap? Definitely not.

The excitement dies down soon enough and it's back to regular conversations. I stop counting after my fourth serving of food. Percy even stops to stare at me for a minute. I just shrug.

I finally decide that I'm full and start walking back toward the beach. I guess I'll sit on the dock a while, then swim some more.

"Hey!" Someone shouts from behind me. I turn around to find that the person was talking to me and that the person is Asher. Percy said he has a big ego, but I might as well be nice until I get to know him.

"Hi, congrats on the quest," I complement.

Asher had made his way to stand in front of me. He has long-ish brown hair and muddy brown eyes. We're the same height. At my compliment, a smirk makes its way onto his face. "Yeah, it was pretty difficult, but I was good enough not to get hurt," he gloats.

I smirk too. Percy was right, Asher has a big head.

"Your name is Ames, right?" He asks with confidence.

"Ames King, daughter of Poseidon. Not at your service," I reply sarcastically.

His smirk grows wider, "That means you're powerful, and in my opinion a pretty girl too." He leans forward a little and my expression turns to a glare.

Before I can voice my nasty reply, the ground between us splits. Asher looks down in shock, but I just take a step back, guessing at what's happening.

A skeletal hand reaches out of the crack, grabbing Asher's ankle. Asher screams and tries desperately to escape, but that hand has a iron grip. Nico's arm slides around my waist as he steps beside me.

"Asher, don't mess with my girlfriend," Nico says with a smirk.

Asher nods violently, eyes wide as plates. The hand releases his ankle and Asher sprints away. I burst into laughter. "I can handle myself, you know," I say, turning to Nico.

"Doesn't mean I can't scare him does it?" Nico says with a raised eyebrow and a smirk.

I just grin and take his hand, pulling him toward my cabin. We're about to enter when Leo and Annabeth step out. Leo pulls Annabeth away and I can't believe it, but she looks ligamently scared. They head toward the big house and Nico and I go into the cabin.

There's a group of people in there. It's the seven, minus Leo and Annabeth, plus Rachel, and Calypso. I let go of Nico's hand and we sit down next to Percy on his bunk.