Chapter 21

We arrive in L.A. and appear on some boat docks. I slide off of Mrs. O'Leary immediately. I breath in the salty city air and smile, looking at the beautiful sunrise over the water.

Nico walks up beside me with his hands in his pockets, "We'd better go before monsters attack us. I just knew you'd want to see this."

I nod and we walk into the city. I stare at the numerous buildings in awe. This is so cool! We walk by a big fun-looking building that catches my eye. Nico points to it and explains how he was trapped there for about 70 years.

I was aware that he wasn't from this time period, but I'd never really thought about it. I laugh, "So technically I'm dating an 80 year old. Never thought I'd be one for old men." I elbow him in the side and he grins at me.

"I never thought I'd date someone 70 years younger than me, or this hot," he smirks at my blush.

I glare at him, fighting a smile, but it still breaks through. "Shut up," I mumble, pressing a kiss to his cheek and taking his hand. His skin leaves a cool, tingly feeling on my lips and I sigh.

After a while of walking, Nico's grip on my hand shifts, "We're close."

Now we're walking through a desolate part of the city. It's a change from the bright morning bustle of the city's center. The streets feel darker and not very welcoming. Nico's hand drifts to his dark sword I let go of his other hand to touch my goggles.

Nico stops in front of a building that has a black lettered sign. I figure the letters out and see that it reads; DOA Recording Studios. I walk next to Nico to the door. He opens it and walks in. The room is like a waiting room, but tons of ghostly figures float and sit around. They look gloomy in the ghostly light that fills the room. I look straight ahead to see a type of tall reception desk that sits next to the elevator.

The ghosts notice Nico and start bowing. I look at him and see a dark purple light glowing around him. Soon all the ghosts are bowing. Even the spectacularly dressed man that was behind the desk bows. That's when I realize how much power Nico really has.

I follow him up to the desk through the sea of ghosts. The smartly dressed man is standing back at his podium. He looks like an arrogant man, but it seems that even he respects Nico.

"Haven't seen you in a while, Sir," says the man. I find a nametag on his suit and it reads Charon. I look back to the man's face to find him returning my gaze. "And who might this be. I saw a girl like this once, about seven years ago, so I would assume this is the same girl, maybe having been reborn, but I don't think that's possible, and this girl is also alive. Miss, has anyone that looks like you maybe passed through here?"

I realize I had teared up. I know who he is talking about. "My sister," I whisper.

Charon nods and turns back to Nico, "What can I do for you, Sir?"

"We need passage to the underworld," Nico instructs.

"I know I'm not supposed to question... but it's strange you came all the way out here to enter," Charon speculates.

"It's because of me. I've never been to the underworld before. My name is Amelia King," I state with confidence, lifting my chin. I don't want to break down in front of him.

"Ah, I see. The problem is I'm aloud to let in the Ghost King, but what reason do I have to let you in?" He asks.

I was about to start talking, but Nico jumps in, "Charon, I can order you to let her in, but as for reasons, my father would like to meet her and she's my girlfriend."

Charon huffs, but leads us to the elevator anyway. We step inside and the temp is all ready dropping. The doors close and we move down, temperature dropping 10° every two feet.

The next time I look at Charon he's transformed into a ghoul or ghost, I can't really tell. Finally, the elevator stops and the doors open. I'm in the underworld.

We easily get through security, what with Nico being bowed to by all of the 'security' skeletons and his title. I do note that everyone who says his name says it with fear, just like Nico told me. I note to myself to call him 'Ghost King' the next time we're alone so he can have the pleasure of hearing the difference.

Finally we reach the huge doors of a castle, but it looks more to me like a fortress. The tall black walls soar above our heads into the gloom and the black color is forbidding.

Again, the guards kneel to Nico and we walk inside.

I keep myself from looking at the throne and I'd rather not describe it. I've read about it before and I don't want to see it in detail for myself.

Atop the throne is the death god himself; Hades. There is a stern look on his face as he finishes a conversation with a skeletal guard. The guard bows and leaves.

Hades' eyes fall on Nico and immediately light up. I remind myself that Nico is his only son, his only child alive and Hades is immortal. I bet Nico is the best son Hades has ever had. Probably because they just tend to be dark and die at a young age.

"My son," booms Hades. He steps down from his throne, "Come, let us converse."

We follow Hades into a side room furnished with plush black couches and tables. Nico sits down on a couch, so I sit next to him. Hades sits across from us.

"I'm glad you came. I wanted to see you before the final vote in three days," Hades informs us.

"Yeah, we wanted your opinion on what to do," Nico says.

Hades' gaze shifts to me, examining me, and overall making me uncomfortable. "You must be Amelia," he guesses.

"Yes sir," I answer, fiercely returning his gaze.

Hades shake his head with a laugh, "Another of Poseidon's. What is it about his children, Nico?"

Nico shifts in his seat, so I take his hand to silently comfort him. "She's much different," Nico tells him, "First of all she's mine-"

Hades laughs again at this, "Do you think you could change my mind about the sea god's kids, Amelia?"

"You can call me Ames, and yes sir, I do believe I could change your mind," I state.

"Confidence," Hades notes, "Well, we'll see. The issue now, though, is that you are both in danger. You wanted my opinion, Nico? I think you should be free to make your own choices, not be trapped on Mount Olympus. If you're going to become indestructible, why not fight for it yourselves. The gods think that if they don't keep you, the the monsters will get you and you will help them in an uprising. I don't think that would happen, but it is also possible for the monsters to trap you. If you're kept away safe, then that won't happen."

"We have a problem, though," I decide to tell him, "I can't go more than three and a half days without swimming."

Hades laughs, "That's absurd! You may be a child of my brother, but you can go without water."

I shake my head, "It's not because of Poseidon. I have swum every day of my life, way before I knew my real parentage. We tried while we were at camp and I got sick from lack of water. I think it would be that way regardless of my father."

Hades contemplates this, "Then I guess you will need freedom. Hopefully you can fight for yourselves in the real world."

There is silence, then I sigh. He's right, but now I'm anticipating the monsters. Would we be able to fight our whole lives against monsters? It seems like there would be no time to live.

"Thank you. We'll have to think it over," says Nico standing up.

I nod and copy Nico, "Yes, thank you."

Hades' expression is grave, "Yes, good luck children."

Nico takes my hand and shadow travels.