The Legacy - Part 8

Thirty-one

As June rushes in and the weather goes through its changes, so do I, in more ways than one. With less than a month until my due date, I am doing better emotionally and eagerly anticipating the birth of my son.

Jessica and Adagio are excited as well. They help me decorate the nursery and get everything ready. They shop with me for baby furniture and accessories, making sure I have everything I need. Adagio even assembles the crib and rocker, and I am grateful I don't have to tackle the job. I am not handy with tools in the least and probably would have put everything together backwards.

My heart full of gratitude for these two amazing people. Jessica has truly been a mother to me, showing me all the love and support I could ever need. Sometimes I muse that I was probably sent to the wrong family and should have been hers. But deep down, I know it isn't true. I needed to go through the trials I'd been given, and Jessica is in my life now. I often think back to the day I met her at the motivational seminar and the instant friendship that formed between us. At the time, I could never have guessed how much meeting her would affect my future. I don't know where I would be without her.

Then there is Adagio. He is my lifeline, and there is nothing he doesn't or won't do for me. Even though he lives downtown, he always manages to be here and see to my every need, and I never have to ask for anything. He gives so much of his time and sacrifices so much of himself. He has helped me to know I'm not alone, that I will never be alone. He is an amazing friend, and I thank God every day for sending him right when I needed him. We are now connected in a way that can't be defined.

My thoughts never stray far from Ingo, but the memories are not as painful, and the bittersweet moments have lessened. I still miss him and I know a part of me always will. He taught me so much about life and love. He also helped me to grow and become the kind of person I've always wanted to be. I will forever treasure his love, as well as my memories of him and our life together.

It has been hard, but I've been able to go on after all.

 * * * 

Adagio observes the changes in Cisely, and as happy as he is about the strength she has gained, there are also changes that have taken place in his own heart–changes he never expected to experience. They have happened slowly.

Adagio spends more and more time with Cisely and longs to be with her whenever he is away. He thinks of her constantly and even tried staying away a couple of times, just to see if these feelings would leave him if he didn't spend so much time around her. But he couldn't go a whole day before giving in to his need to be near her.

Every moment he is in her home, Adagio watches Cisely's every move. He takes in her every expression and wonders what she is thinking at a particular moment. When she leaves the room he counts the minutes until she returns, and when she does his heart always skips a beat. Just a look from her or the feel of her hand in his sends a warmth through him that is almost overwhelming at times. He now craves her touch, and just holding her is no longer enough.

He loves feeling her softness against him, loves the fragrance that radiates from her hair when he presses his face into it. He has grown accustomed to the way her body fits against his side and his arms often feel empty when she isn't in them. He loves the way her eyes sparkle whenever he comes through the door and the silkiness of her voice when she says his name. It is like a caress, so warm, so familiar. Being with her is like coming home. He has never felt anything like this before. It is a need that both thrills and scares him.

He remembers the moment he truly accepted that things had changed. It is a moment he will never forget, and because of it, his world is no longer the same.