Legacy - Part 21

Eighty-eight

Treviso, Italy

Do you two have everything you need?" I ask, straightening the back of Phillip's collar.

Phillip checks his backpack once more. "I've got the water, sandwiches, and cookies."

"And I have the cups, napkins, and apples," Mali says, closing her bag.

"Then I guess we're ready." Phillip puts his arms through the straps of his backpack.

Following them to the door, I smile and wave as the two leave for their outing. It seems a picnic in the park every few days has become Phillip and Mali's favorite past-time.

Mali has been in Italy for two weeks now and I can already see marked changes in her. She is thriving in her new surroundings, and being away from the crowd she hung around at home has made a definite difference. The young girl's countenance has softened, making her even lovelier. And the smile that now graces her face after being unhappy for so long warms my heart.

I call Wendy regularly to keep her updated on her daughter. The few times Wendy has talked to Mali, she can tell how much her daughter has changed just by listening to her voice. I know Wendy misses Mali, but having her in Italy with our family has been worth the heartache. Mali needed this change. She needed to be away from the problems she'd had to face daily. And she needed to think about something else besides her father.

We hope that Mali being here will somehow help her shed the unnecessary guilt she's carried around since the divorce. She has never said anything, but I can sense her feelings of guilt, I just have no idea why. As I watch her blossoming more and more each day, I hope the young girl will continue on the path of healing. Having faced my own set of trials growing up, I understand how traumatizing life can be for a twelve-year-old, especially one dealing with an unstable home life.

"Where are you, amore?" Adagio approaches me from behind and wraps his arms around my waist.

"I was just thinking about Mali. I was also thinking of how blessed our children are to have both their parents. There are so many kids out there in the world facing the same trial Mali is."

"It is a sad situation. She seems to be doing a little better now."

"She is," I agree. "I'm so glad she came here. I think it has helped her more than she realizes." I reach back and press a hand to his face. "I want our children to always feel secure, to know that regardless of what happens in our lives, nothing will ever tear our family apart." Closing my eyes, I soak in his closeness. "They need to know that."

"They will," he says with a husky sigh, pressing a kiss to my ear. He tightens his embrace gently. "I promise you, angel, they will." He holds me for another moment before drawing back and taking my hand. "Come with me."

"All right." I let him lead me upstairs.

 * * * 

When they enter their bedroom, Adagio pulls Cisely across the room to face the large, gold framed family photo hanging over the fireplace in the sitting area. He moves behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist. Pressing his cheek against hers, he says, "Each and every time I look at this picture, I am freshly reminded of my goal, and that goal is forever, amore." He points to the picture. "This is everything to me, Cisely. Everything. Nothing with ever stand between me and my family. Nothing but death will ever separate us, and I hope that will not be until we are old and gray. And even then, I hope the separation will not be very long. I mean, I know realistically, I will probably go before you, being almost ten years older, but the separation would still be hard. It is hard to even think about." He presses his face into her hair, inhaling deeply the floral fragrance of her shampoo. "I need to be with you too much."