Legacy - Part 29

One hundred-six

Many years later

Adagio presses a light kiss to Cisely's hand as their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren gather around them and sing the birthday song to him. Ninety-five is longer than he'd ever expected to live, and he and Cisely are both grateful to have the whole family there to celebrate this special day.

He laughs as the great-grandchildren help him blow out the candles on the large cake Phillip had spent the whole morning preparing. Since he's had complete control of the restaurant for the past thirty years, he closes it for the family celebration. There is food galore covering a long row of tables. The rest of the tables are filled with Adagio and Cisely's posterity.

As Adagio takes in the various faces of his family members, he has to smile. The dream that had engraved itself in his heart when he was sixteen has come to pass. He has everything he could ever want. He can't ask for more. He squeezes his wife's hand, noticing how tired her eyes look.

"Are you all right, amore?"

Cisely nods slightly. "I'm fine, but I wouldn't mind a cup of herbal tea." She slowly stands. "Would you like some?"

"No, thank you. Why don't you let one of the children get it for you?"

"It's all right," she assures him. "I need to stretch these old limbs anyway."

"You are only as old as you feel, angel," he says, grinning. "And you are still beautiful."

She smiles, leaning down and kissing him softly. "Thank you, my love."

Adagio watches her walk away, noticing the absence of the spring that usually accompanies her step. Even at eighty-five, she has always remained active and full of energy. This evening that energy is no longer there. The thought saddens him, so he tucks it away in the hidden recesses of his mind.

 * * * 

I am leaning against the metal counter stirring my tea when Phillip walks in. He smiles and I smile back, freshly amazed at how handsome he still is.

"You should have let me get that for you, Mama."

"I didn't mind."

He touches my face. "You look tired."

"I am a little tired."

"Too much partying," he says with a grin.

I chuckle. "Probably." Sobering, I look at him quietly for a moment as various thoughts flicker through my mind, but one particular thought stands out from the rest. Lifting a hand to his face, I swallow hard against the unexpected emotion. As his eyes meet mine, his face blurs through my tears.

"What is it, Mama?" he asks.

"I can't tell you how proud Papa and I are of you. You have brought us so much joy and happiness."

He touches my face. "You have been the best parents a person could ask for."

"We've tried."

"And you have succeeded."

"Thank you. Where is young Adagio?"

"As usual, he's out on the veranda indulging in one of his favorite past-times, looking through photos of you and Papa."

"Ah, I should have known. He always knows the way to my heart."

"I think you two are his favorite people in the world."

"We've definitely formed a bond." I pause, thinking of my grandson. "He's an amazing man. And I know his interests are different from yours, but give him time." I gaze around the kitchen. "This restaurant is in his blood. He will take over when it's time. Just be patient."