Legacy - Part 25

Ninety-six

Salt Lake City, Utah

Phillip is surprisingly calm as he enters the boutique. Standing just inside the door a moment, he lets his eyes scan the female faces until he finds one he recognizes. And just as he spots her, Wendy's wide-eyed smile meets his. She runs to him, embracing him tightly.

"It's so good to see you!"

"It's good to see you too," he says.

Wendy pulls back, taking him in from head to toe, causing him to blush. "You look great. As handsome as ever."

He grins shyly. "Thanks. I only hope your daughter feels the same."

Wendy squeezes his hand, pulling him aside. "I really believe that deep down, those feelings are still there, though she adamantly denies it." Pausing, she cautiously looks around a moment. "She's afraid, Phillip. Not only has she lost her trust in others, she doesn't trust herself or her feelings, either. But I know you can help her see how amazing she is. I just know it."

"I pray you're right. All I can do is try." He takes a deep breath. "Where is she?"

Wendy points to the door her daughter imprisons herself behind daily, her expression growing sad. "She never comes out until we close. I usually take lunch in to her, otherwise she wouldn't eat." She pushes a hand back through her hair, swallowing in frustration. "She would rather go hungry than face anyone. And I just don't know how to help her."

Shaking his head, Phillip looks at his watch, a slow smile spreading across his face.

"Why don't you let me take care of lunch today?"

Wendy grins, admiring his quick thinking. "I think that's a wonderful idea."

"Let's just hope she doesn't throw it back in my face," he says, only half serious.

"Well, if she does, then I guess she will go hungry, won't she?"

He laughs. "I guess so."

 * * * 

Mali slowly runs the steamer down the silk skirt a final time before placing it on the rack with the other finished garments. Brushing her hair back from her face, she takes a deep breath, momentarily gazing off into space. Her mother will be in with her lunch at any moment. She is tempted to feel guilty for keeping herself secluded this way and knows she should be braver and get out more. She can't expect her mother to do this forever.

Mali needs to reclaim her life. But how can she face anyone so disfigured? How can anyone ever look past the scar that has taken away any chance of her having a normal life? Even as her mind reasons it's wrong to feel this way, she pushes the thought aside, telling herself to accept her fate. She isn't being shallow, just internally stating a fact.

Putting her mind back on her work, Mali takes a blouse from the rack and hangs it on the hook. She is just beginning to steam the wrinkles from it when she hears the door open. "Thanks, Mom," she calls, her back facing the door. When there isn't the usual response of "You're welcome," she glances back and freezes.

"Ciao, Mali." Phillip's voice is calm.

Completely speechless, she turns off the steamer, her heart racing wildly. In an effort to overcome her shock, she lowers her eyes and turns away from him. "Hello," she finally responds, her voice unsteady.

Phillip walks over and places the Subway bag and tray of drinks on the table. When Mali tries to turn away again, he gently catches her arm.

With a sigh of defeat, she face him fully. Bravely lifting her chin, there is a hint of quiet defiance filling her eyes. She has never felt more vulnerable in her life, but she refuses to let him see it. And having him standing before her now, looking so painfully handsome that it hurts her heart doesn't help matters.