The Legacy - Part 3

Thirteen

We set our wedding date for the end of July and it is already the middle of June. Time is passing fast and I am so grateful for Jessica. With her help, we are able to put the wedding together quickly. Most of the people we're inviting– besides Ingo's family–are the ladies I work with at the boutique and a few of the regular customers I have gotten to know. I am a little sad that there will be no family of my own at the wedding, but it can't be helped, and I frequently remind myself that Ingo and Jessica are my family now.

 * * * 

Ingo is excited to call his parents and tell them about Cisely, as well as invite them to the wedding. And as he'd expected, they are blown away by the news. They will all be flying in for the event. He can't wait for them to officially meet Cisely.

When he makes his monthly call to his best friend Adagio, he tells him about Cisely and invites him to the wedding.

"Congratulations, my friend!" Adagio says heartily. "I am so happy for you! Of course, I was beginning to wonder if, like me, you were going to be a confirmed bachelor for the rest of your life."

Ingo laughs. "Yeah, you and everybody else, but when you meet Cisely, you will understand why she's the only woman for me. She was worth the wait. No one else has even come close."

"She must be amazing to have pinned you down. And just wait until I tell the guys at the restaurant. Sam will probably call you right back to make sure I am not making this up."

"I can believe that. Those guys have always considered me a lost cause anyway, especially Mr. Happily-Married-For-Fifteen-Years Sam."

Adagio laughs. "You were not lost, just wandering, same as me."

"Well, I'm no longer wandering, my friend. I've found my destination and she is amazing. I love her so much."

"I can tell."

"So what's happening with you and Maria?"

"Actually . . . nothing is happening."

"What do you mean? I thought things were moving along between you two."

"Sadly, she turned out to be like the other two before her. My money and my restaurant were my biggest draw."

"I'm sorry, man. I can definitely empathize, as you well know. Been there, done that."

"I do know. I guess it comes with the territory when you are single and wealthy. But I am sure God has a plan and I still have hope. I am also still waiting for that plan to emerge."

Ingo chuckles. "Well, while you're waiting, get your travel plans made, because you're my best man."

"It's about time you admitted I am the best."

"But of course," Ingo agrees with a snort.

They talk a little longer and Ingo shares more about Cisely, wanting Adagio to understand just how special she is. Before hanging up, he gives Adagio the date of the wedding and Adagio assures him he will be there.

* * *

Treviso, Italy

Hanging up the phone, Adagio rakes his fingers through his tousled hair and smiles. He can't believe his friend is finally getting married! Ingo is never far from his thoughts, and he is happy the man he's come to think of as a brother has finally found someone to share his life with. At times it still amazes him that he and Ingo are so close, and the connection between them is unexplainable. It's as if they have known each other all their lives. Having grown up an only child, Adagio treasures the close relationship he shares with Ingo. True, he has other friends, coworkers and acquaintances, but Ingo is definitely a kindred spirit.