The Legacy - Part 5

Twenty-one

It is early when we are awakened by the ringing of the telephone.

"That's probably John calling about shooting the house photos," Ingo says sleepily. "He was going to call if he couldn't make the appointment this morning."

"How is he doing anyway?" I am now fully awake.

"He's okay. The divorce has been hard on him and he really needs to get the house sold. The payments are pretty hefty and too much to handle with just his income. That's–" There is a knock on our door. "Come in."

Jessica sticks her head in. "I'm sorry, but it's for you . . . It's your friend, Adagio. He said it was really important."

Ingo quickly picks up the cordless and Jessica hands me the other one, just in case.

"Adagio, what is it?" Ingo asks.

"I am sorry to call you so early, but I am about to board a flight to Salt Lake and I was wondering if it would be all right if I stay with you and Cisely for a few days."

"Sure, you don't even need to ask. What's going on? Wait, Cisely is listening in too." I turn the other phone on.

"Ciao, Cisely."

"Hi, Adagio. What has happened?"

"I got a call from a good friend in Salt Lake. He and his wife just lost their little boy. He was killed by a drunk driver."

I gasp. "Oh, that's terrible!"

"I know. After he hit the boy, the young man ran into a tree a little farther down the road. Otherwise, they would not have caught him."

"How is the poor family holding up?" Ingo asks.

"They are pretty broken up. Tara, the mother, is not well at all. He was eight years old and their only child. She can't have any more children."

I tearfully try to imagine what the couple must be going through. It brings back a few memories of being in cars with drunk drivers myself. That is, when I was sober enough to notice. It's not a pretty picture and I quickly put it out of my mind. "Can we do anything to help?"

"I don't know at the moment. Gary, the boy's father, asked me if I would help them with the arrangements. Neither are close to their families through no fault of their own. I will let you know if I need any help once I get there and can talk with them about what they want."

"When does your flight get in?" Ingo asks.

"My plane was delayed for a couple of hours, but we are almost ready to take off. I will be there at midnight. I have already reserved a car, so you won't need to pick me up. I'm sorry to be coming in so late."

"Don't worry about it," I say. "We will just be glad to see you."

"I look forward to seeing you as well."

After the call, we get up and get going, readying a room for Adagio. We look forward to seeing him again. We only wish it were under happier circumstances.

Twenty-two

It is after one in the morning when Adagio parks his rented Mazda in front of Ingo and Cisely's home and hauls his luggage up the steps. The living room light is on, so he knows someone is waiting up for him. Ingo opens the door before he even knocks and the two men embrace.

"I appreciate you letting me stay with you."

"You never have to ask. You're always welcome."

"Thank you."